In Tank Fuel Hose

Kodjo

Hi,

I'm new here and in the process of getting my 1969 Avanti back on the Dutch road. Cleaned the fuel tank out because the fuel in there was 27 years old.

During the cleaning a hose fell out the tank! This hose is not in the parts catalog nor the manual. 

Is this hose supposed to be in the tank, on the vent maybe? Or is this hose just put in the tank to get it out the way?

Thanks, Kodjo

IMG_0273.JPEG

Definitely doesn't belong in the tank. Only thing that comes to mind is a hose fell in when the tank gage unit was removed. I'd think if the hose is still pliable, it fell in later than sooner in the life of your car.  

Your wheels and raised white lettered tires look so good on your car!

Thanks for your reply! I also thought the hose does not belong there but was uncertain.

These tires are 27 years old. The car was on axle stands all this time. So, the tires are round and look very new. Will they be still safe to drive?

Edited by Kodjo

2 hours ago, Kodjo said:

Thanks for your reply! I also thought the hose does not belong there but was uncertain.

These tires are 27 years old. The car was on axle stands all this time. So, the tires are round and look very new. Will they be still safe to drive?

IMO, NO.

Tires over 5-6 years old should not be considered safe.  The rubber ages and it is slower to deteriorate if inside, but even then 6-7 years is about max to be safe!  Remember we drive much faster and more than they did in the 60s and 70s.  Be safe switch out every 5 years I& you can!

If your car was up on blocks for 27 years, your tires may be more than 27 years old and, as per above, I definitely would not drive on them.  Not sure about Europe, or at least your location, but in the U.S. anyway, you can tell the age of a tire by a code on the sidewall.  On the outside of the sidewall which normally is installed toward the car (i.e., if you crawl under the car, you can see the code) you'll see a block with four numbers.  These numbers indicate the week and year of manufacture.  2798 - 27th week of 1998;  0417 - 4th week of 2017, etc.

9 hours ago, Kodjo said:

Papa needs to buy baby new shoes. Those oldies aint goodies!

Bummer, they look so nice! In the Netherlands we do not have legislation on this topic. So, it is legal to drive these old tires. But, you are right, i'll buy new when the car is up and running again. At this moment, it is in parts on the floor...

IMG_0437.JPEG