Christmas Gift with extras!

Ntenna

Over the holidays I was gifted an original '63 Avanti owners glove box package, with Owner's Manual, warranty cards, etc. In between pages these two items showed up. Given the amount of time which has passed seems safe to post.

Anyone on the forum own 63R1081?IMG_1604.thumb.jpeg.c3a333f6d0fe079410296129129d7438.jpegIMG_1605.thumb.jpeg.9b4b5b8179ba811accaf8c0cc742ebba.jpeg

31 minutes ago, mfg said:

On the Virginia registration certificate, I find it interesting the 'year of manufacture' seems to indicate 62/63!:o

That is year of manufacture and model year (manufactured in 1962 for the 1963 model year).  For an early 1963 model Avanti this seems correct to me.  

38 minutes ago, studegary said:

That is year of manufacture and model year (manufactured in 1962 for the 1963 model year).  For an early 1963 model Avanti this seems correct to me.  

So Gary, if you were looking at a registration certificate for a 2015 Toyota Corrola, and the model year box indicated 15/16 you wouldn't think that was unusual??

I can add a bit of info on this issue.  I used to haunt all the local Studebaker dealers in central Virginia, including Valley Motors.  I beat the dealership out on the sale of a 63 Hawk R2 being offered to the highest bidder by its original owner.  Unfortunately, I didn't keep it for but a few years.  Well, so much for reminicing (sp).

In those days The state of Virginia would put BOTH the year manufactured and the model year on the title (as you see above).  That is, the title and registration would list the car as a "1962-63".  This caused some confusion later.  I have a 1964 R1 Cruiser that I bought from the original owner some years ago.  It was titled as a 1963-64 (original title).  When I went to the DMV to title it (as I always do, even if it's a parts car) the clerk printed out my title and it said "1963 Studebaker 4-dr".  I told her that the car is a  64 model year, not a 63.  She looked at me like I was trying to pull something, and said they would have to send it to Richmond.  (I didn't think at the time to point out the "64" prefix on the serial number, if that would have helped.)  A couple weeks later my title came in the mail, correctly listing the car as a "1964 Studebaker 4-dr".

Virginia doesn't do that dual-year thing any more, and I don't know why they did it then.

--Dwight

7 hours ago, mfg said:

So Gary, if you were looking at a registration certificate for a 2015 Toyota Corrola, and the model year box indicated 15/16 you wouldn't think that was unusual??

It is not only a "model year box".  It is clearly labeled as the box for year of manufacture and model year.  

Dwight sites a good example.    

7 minutes ago, studegary said:

It is not only a "model year box".  It is clearly labeled as the box for year of manufacture and model year.  

Dwight sites a good example.    

We're speaking of needless confusion here Gary....and apparently the State of Virginia agrees, as they've stopped doing this.

Don't worry Gary, you'll 'catch on'!!:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

I can add a bit of info on this issue.  I used to haunt all the local Studebaker dealers in central Virginia, including Valley Motors.  I beat the dealership out on the sale of a 63 Hawk R2 being offered to the highest bidder by its original owner.  Unfortunately, I didn't keep it for but a few years.  Well, so much for reminicing (sp).

In those days The state of Virginia would put BOTH the year manufactured and the model year on the title (as you see above).  That is, the title and registration would list the car as a "1962-63".  This caused some confusion later.  I have a 1964 R1 Cruiser that I bought from the original owner some years ago.  It was titled as a 1963-64 (original title).  When I went to the DMV to title it (as I always do, even if it's a parts car) the clerk printed out my title and it said "1963 Studebaker 4-dr".  I told her that the car is a  64 model year, not a 63.  She looked at me like I was trying to pull something, and said they would have to send it to Richmond.  (I didn't think at the time to point out the "64" prefix on the serial number, if that would have helped.)  A couple weeks later my title came in the mail, correctly listing the car as a "1964 Studebaker 4-dr".

Virginia doesn't do that dual-year thing any more, and I don't know why they did it then.

--Dwight

Thanks Dwight!,..... I believe most folks would see dual years on a registration certificate as needless confusion and need for explanation!:)

Thanks mfg for the tip on the latest roster, I'll get up with Mr. Williams. Gotta find my Roster!

Virginia did a bunch of "different" things over the years.... probably was an old tax ploy 😂

17 hours ago, ntenna said:

Thanks mfg for the tip on the latest roster, I'll get up with Mr. Williams. Gotta find my Roster!

Virginia did a bunch of "different" things over the years.... probably was an old tax ploy 😂

Sounds good!:)......If you don't locate your roster, that's Mr. Williams email address at the end of my first post.

• 2 weeks later...