replacement brake booster?

kellyavanti

After taking about a year and a half to recover from open heart surgery, getting my new bovine aortic valve, I'm finally feeling like I can do a bit of work on R-1880, my '63 avanti. First item up is my ailing brake system. Wondering what you all think about aftermarket boosters and dual master cylinders. I don't like driving with a single master cylinder (esp. in crazy SoCal traffic). I'm just wondering what you all have done. Thanks in advance

vivo.jpg

Just did this on my 63 (front disc / rear 11" drum) using the kit from Avanti Parts and Restorations, Inc. using a refreshed factory booster as well. Actually the failed booster was the real reason I did this project and just decided now was the time to upgrade the master while I was there. The single circuit master cylinder definitely represents a safety shortcoming of any car of that era. The kit installed pretty easy, the factory lines you'll be connecting to as well as the new lines in the kit will take some tweaking but in general it's no more than a half-day project. 

Couple tips from my experience:

1) 3/16 tube bending pliers will be easier to work with in the chassis than a regular tubing bender. I have a Lisle 44150, less than $25

2) Buy a new brake light pressure switch if yours in mounted on the master, I'm told some are on the pedal, couldn't get mine out of the old master but was lucky enough to have a spare. Don't turn this into a week long project just to save a couple bucks on the sensor.

3) As with any new master cylinder doing a bench bleed will make everything go smoother.   

http://avantiparts.biz/dual-master-cylinder-conversion-kit/

Good luck, glad your getting back in the saddle.

3 hours ago, EnduroDriver said:

Just did this on my 63 (front disc / rear 11" drum) using the kit from Avanti Parts and Restorations, Inc. using a refreshed factory booster as well. Actually the failed booster was the real reason I did this project and just decided now was the time to upgrade the master while I was there. The single circuit master cylinder definitely represents a safety shortcoming of any car of that era. The kit installed pretty easy, the factory lines you'll be connecting to as well as the new lines in the kit will take some tweaking but in general it's no more than a half-day project. 

Couple tips from my experience:

1) 3/16 tube bending pliers will be easier to work with in the chassis than a regular tubing bender. I have a Lisle 44150, less than $25

2) Buy a new brake light pressure switch if yours in mounted on the master, I'm told some are on the pedal, couldn't get mine out of the old master but was lucky enough to have a spare. Don't turn this into a week long project just to save a couple bucks on the sensor.

3) As with any new master cylinder doing a bench bleed will make everything go smoother.   

http://avantiparts.biz/dual-master-cylinder-conversion-kit/

Good luck, glad your getting back in the saddle.

Thanks for the references. Looks like a treasure trove of Avanti stuff. And thanks for the tool recommendation, typical tubing benders in frustrating in tight spots.

best health in 2021 and of course works for the car. Just my feeling about the Turner system, I converted my 73Avanti II to the Turner system. After the expenses involved, I did not really feel any difference. 

2 hours ago, silverstude said:

I saw that article and the linked page about master cylinders before I bought mine. Unfortunately none of the NAPA part numbers, at least for the 63 model year, appear valid any longer.