steel wheels with Turner Brakes

RobertSuren

Hi

I have a 71 Avanti 11 which I converted to Turner brakes a number of years ago.I believe I used mustang calipers & chevy s10  4x4 rotors.I have Cragar 30 spoke 15x6 inch wheels now.Is  there any reason that I should not consider returning to Avanti 63-64 wheels? If not, is there a better idea for a 15" steel wheel?Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob Suren

Probably Ford Fairlane rotors and S10 4X4 calipers. Personally, I'd go for newer Ford, Chrysler or aftermarket wheels as the 63/64 were a bit narrow and the newer ones will let you run bigger/better radial tires. I'm using 2000 or so Mustang Bullitt Aluminum wheels on my 74 with the Turner option and would not go back to 60's technology in wheels.

You should be able to find new or used steel wheels if you prefer by looking for wheels that have the width and back spacing of the Crager's you are running. I opted for a much larger wheel for the stated reasons.

YMMV- Your mileage may vary.

Just took the plunge to 17 inch wheels, and what a difference it's made! My '71 Avanti had the original Magnum 500 15x6 inch wheels, and when I purchased the car, Hankook whitewalls were on it. A spacer was used on the front wheels to clear the Turner disc brakes. I recently purchased 17x7 Magnum 500s and mounted new blackwall tires. The new wheels provided 4.25" back space, and all I needed was 3.75" - so off came the spacers. Perfect fit with no modifications necessary, or clearance issues. Cornering and tracking are so much better now, and the overall look is more muscular. I purchased the wheels, caps, lugs and valve stems thru CJ Pony Parts. Excellent service and prompt delivery.

IMG_7653.jpeg

IMG_0373.jpeg

Edited by Desert Driver

Thx for the compliment..I'm really pleased with the look and how the car handles.

I went from 205/75 R15 to 225/55 R17 tires. A little wider, but not as much sidewall. Net result is the overall height of the wheel and tire is just a tad less than what I had with the 15 inch wheels and tires! You see more wheel now, and less tire. I went with the same size front and back, but do know some Avanti owners who have gone with 18 inchers in the rear. I spent a lot of time researching this change (esp with Harvey Snitzer who owns a '71 as well). There are some scary stories about owners who have gone with larger wheels and tires and had to modify their cars at additional expense. It's true - no two Avantis are alike, so do your homework. The rake of the 63/64 Avanti is awesome, but I'm satisfied with what I have.

IMG_0361.jpeg

Edited by Desert Driver

Hi Avanti83

Thanks for your input.I recall your post several years ago when you did your convert to mustang wheels.However I have not been able to pull it up on my computer now.Would it be possible to repost now for myself and other interested members.Thank you and Happy new yaer.Robert Suren

7 hours ago, RobertSuren said:

Hi Avanti83

Thanks for your input.I recall your post several years ago when you did your convert to mustang wheels.However I have not been able to pull it up on my computer now.Would it be possible to repost now for myself and other interested members.Thank you and Happy new yaer.Robert Suren

This should do it.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/tech-talk/110102-mustang-wheels-become-avanti-wheels