Everyday Avanti?

mfg

I just purchased a 1989 coupe with 40K miles excellent condiition for less than $20,000. It runs ansd smells like a new car out of the show room.

As far as daily driver, I have used my 2002 convertible since new everyday in my real estate business. It just turned 162,000 and is still going strong. Heat, snow, ice, rain, it keeps going...

Didn't happen without pictures :)

The 1989 coupe sounds like a car I have been looking for. Good for you. I would like to ask you more about it and how the sale worked out by phone or personal email. Thanks.

Dave Pyle 713 464 6717, or dap8@comcast.net

The 1989 coupe sounds like a car I have been looking for. Good for you. I would like to ask you more about it and how the sale worked out by phone or personal email. Thanks.

Dave Pyle 713 464 6717, or dap8@comcast.net

Yes, I've known about that beautiful '89 Avanti for a few months...Ron bought a honey!

Edited by mfg

I am heading back to the original thread...

I have a '63 R2 that I LOVE getting out on the road. Hagerty says I can't use it to drive to work or any such thing, but it has been to work. It spent the last 4 months at the glass shop waiting to get a new windshield. That is a story in itself...

I got it back last week but only because the glass was finally installed and it was +45 degrees up here. This is January and it should be -30 but noooooo.... I have been using it occasionally around town (I live in a small town in Alberta, Canada) since it lives in the garage under my Lark (which seems to have found an almost permanent perch on my hoist) and then has to be pulled out of the garage so I can work on the Lark.

This situation hopefully shall soon be changed and the Avanti will be back on top of the hoist in its place of honour. The Lark will then be parked underneath.

I understand what you're saying about collector car insurance....It's wonderfully affordable, but they do put restrictions on where and when you CAN drive the car. I insured with J C Taylor for a time on my '63 Avanti, but got so fed up with the restrictions that I decided to just insure it in the normal fashion. Now I drive it when and where I want. I did stick with Taylor on an older Studebaker that I own, but I don't use that car nearly as much as my '63. I've also kept 'normal' auto insurance on my everyday driver '83 Avanti, of course.

I'm surprised to hear that you've had so much trouble obtaining a windshield for your Avanti....I've purchased two of them recently....one through a 'Turning Wheels' advertiser, the other was obtained through a local glass company, (insurance), with no long wait at all....Take care!

Didn't happen without pictures :)

Yes, Ron drives his 2002 Avanti (which he purchased brand new), everyday...He replaced the convertible top recently, and he keeps the car in great shape....Ron purchased a black '89 Avanti coupe 'almost' brand new years ago,....and now this red '89 Avanti coupe (no moonroof) that he recently purchased is truly like a brand new car!!...Atttaboy Ron!!!!!!

Well, weve been very lucky weather-wise here in New England so far this year, but I guess the party's over!....A blizzard is predicted for Tuesday thru Wednesday, with possible snow amounts of a foot or more!........Now, out to the garage I go to re-mount the Firestone Winterforce snow tires I purchased last year for my 'everyday driver' 1983 'Blake' Avanti......I have a lot of confidence in that old baby 'getting me through'.....but still, it's always a challenge!.....Wish me luck!

Wondered if there's anyone out there still using his/her Avanti as everyday transportation. I mean using your Avanti on sunny, rainy, snowy, windy, come what have you days..365 days a year.....Just wondering! (And this question would include ALL Avantis, '63 thru '02?)

I not only use my 75 Avanti as my main transportation, I BOUGHT it for my daily transportation. I have old Corvettes (which I routinely drive), pick-up truck, wife's SUV, but my step in and drive car is the Avanti.

I had been driving a newer Corvette as my 'business' car but wanted something roomier and on occasion haul four people short distance. I wanted something different, but cost effective and easily maintained. I even sat down on several occasions with a couple of my car builder buddies to plan a custom vehicle. Then I remembered the Avanti.

I did limited research of available Avanti (never drove one) and bought one out of state with new rebuild engine, 700R4 tranny and new paint. It is a comfortable car with good performance (after tuning it as a SBC should be), and a great WOW factor. Recently as I was leaving an office, I young lady asked about the car.

She had a great comment...that is beautiful car...just look around this parking lot, all these cars look the same...a person could mistake any of them for another... your car is fun to walk to and get in !

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we've had one snow 'event' after another since 1/28 here in New England.....My '83 Avanti 'Everyday Driver' has soldiered on, and gotten me to work and back everday through it all!....It really impresses me the excellent traction these Chevy powered Avantis have under snowy road conditions,....Once they are set up with good snow tires and a bit of weight, (100lbs.), in the trunk!. Been driving this 'old girl' year round for twenty one years now......AVANTI--FORWARD!!!!

Just drove the '83 Avanti out onto our road...We experienced another 14" or so of snow overnight, and I had to wait for a snowplow truck to pass the house so I could follow him up to the main road (which is well plowed) The '83 seems to 'love it'...And so far, there's no stopping this fine hand made car.....AVANTI!!!!!

Wow. Gotta luv the weather....

My lark has passed its inspection and I have figured out most of the other problems it had so it is now on the road as my other daily driver... That does not mean the Avanti will be out frolicking in the snow with it, just that I don't have to fire up the Diesel truck to go get eggs...