Heater core removal

BillyBob

Pretty certain I have a leaking heater core.  Workshop manual makes removal & installation sound easy enough - what tricks do I need to know?  Thanks in advance....   Bill

IIRC, you need to remove the A/C evaporator and then the air distribution duct. One side of the distribution duct looks like it is made of tar paper. You can easily destroy the duct if you don't do it correctly.  Unfortunately, the shop manual does not discuss removing the core or duct with A/C installed.

Forgot to mention that the heater core housing is attached on the passenger side with a well nut. If the well nut is seized, you may need to cut it loose.

Edited by 64studeavanti

Not saying I would want to do it again but I know I did not remove either the evaporator or the Radio. I did remove the side covers on the console and might have had to unbolt the evaporator and move it but did not disconnect the Freon lines. . Yes the duct work is attached to the heater box and I did have to disconnect it.  Just don't remember what I did. Miner things like the temperature control has to be disconnected. It might almost be easier to unbolt the dashboard.  I did that to fix the wiper linkage

Ron.

Thanks to all - assembly is loose; heater hoses disconnected.   Helped removing washers on engine side of dash panel.. Pushed blower motor wires thru dash panel  - hoping they don't get cut as assembly is removed. Yes, having difficulty getting heater core/blower housing past a/c lines.  Taking a break for the night...   Stay tuned.

It is possible to remove heater core/blower housing without removing/loosening a/c, loosening I/P, loosening console - I did it! The 3 most important tools were 1) coolant catch basin, 2) cork to plug lower heater core tube, and 3) flat tire iron (most critical tool for gentle encouragement of clearing housing assembly from lower edge of I/P). Watch out for pinching blower motor wires on removal and routing of temp control cable on reinstall.Now, considering rebuild of blower motor. Do not want to go through this again! FYI: Workshop Manual grossly understates removal. Told, I am, Studebaker Corporation allowed 1.0 hour for heater core R&R.20201214_153705.thumb.jpg.2c40d00ceb290cad798c8665dbff779c.jpg

20201214_154019.jpg

20201214_152320.jpg

20201214_151433.jpg

Edited by BillyBob
Reordering text