Brake Update

golden hawk

Am at a crossroads concerning replacement of brakes on 63 Avanti. Have had nothing but headaches replacing power boosters, master cylinders, etc. Would like to have new front discs installed, new booster, update to dual master cylinder, etc. Turner replacement vs. old style components. Any recommendations on where to get the best deal on parts and or installation help. Central Kentucky area. Would like to hear from anyone who had recently done or had brakes overhauled.

Tom- I have seen the ads and will contact him. His s

etup does not use a power booster and may help one of the problems with that alone. Thanks for your input. Bill.

The upgrade to a dual master is pretty easy, if memory serves its the same Master

as a late 60's early 70's Dodge. I made the swap already on my Avanti, shortly

after I lost brakes totally on my 1960 Hawk when a new rear wheel cylinder blew

out and was leaking. I lost the brakes coming off the freeway, I can tell you that

its a REALLY bad feeling. There are a few people that have a dual master kit for

purchase. The mod isnt really difficult to do on your own. The parts can be all

picked up at your local parts house. The booster is the same as cars around the

same time frame, I think Jeep used it and Dodge. Its also a fairly inexpensive

part to rebuild. I would suggest keeping the booster, it just makes it that much

more safe (since you have less pedal effort). Also, on a fiberglass car, there is

going to be extra strain exerted on the pedel inside the car, instead of mulitplying

it on the firewall. This means that cracking in the firewall could develop over time

since YOU have to make up the difference in assist.

Tom