"Participation" MAKES a Forum ... not silence!

SBCA96

I posted a thread about my new rims and even though over 100 people read the

post ... NO ONE replied. Thats pretty sad. If the members of this forum DO NOT

reply to thread or post, the forum WILL die. The point of "our" area of the Net is

to SHARE with each other. I belong to the Impala SS forum too, and those guys

KNOW how to be social. A "newbie" posts and he gets 5 to 10 replies welcoming

him to the forum. This is a NICE forum people, step up to the plate, share your

views and lets make this Forum WORTH reading!!!

Tom

I posted a thread about my new rims and even though over 100 people read the

post ... NO ONE replied.  Thats pretty sad.  If the members of this forum DO NOT

reply to thread or post, the forum WILL die.  The point of "our" area of the Net is

to SHARE with each other.  I belong to the Impala SS forum too, and those guys

KNOW how to be social.  A "newbie" posts and he gets 5 to 10 replies welcoming

him to the forum.  This is a NICE forum people, step up to the plate, share your

views and lets make this Forum WORTH reading!!!

Tom

Hello, Tom,

I understand your frustration and feeling of aloneness (is that a word?) I don't know anything about tires, wheels, rims, etc, so I can't help you with your specific topic. I have Magnum 500's on my Avanti II.

I now have a a very, very fine-looking '70 gold Avanti II with a high-performance 350 cu in Corvette engine which, even with its automatic transmission, surprises some of the young kids next to me at the stoplights!

I have tried to be a positive contributor to our forum where I could be factual.

I have thought that some of my prior submissions would have been very helpful to a number of people. The lack of feedback, I admit , has been disappointing. However, maybe they they just don't take the time to send back what they have learned from my suggestions. I don't care; I'll just keep on trying to help where I can.

Best regards,

Paul

:blink: I am in agreement i posted one back in june, about a repacement steering wheel and had 89 hits with no responses. i too have spent many hours looking for clues and have findly found something just resently. GRANT makes an adaptor for studebaker avanti 62-65 and out of at least 100 differt types of wheels, i fould about 3 that will fit and not kill the integery of the car. keep positive, you are not alone. john

Hello, Tom,

I understand your frustration and feeling of aloneness (is that a word?)  I don't know anything about tires, wheels, rims, etc, so I can't help you with your specific topic.

Well .. I ended up getting the rims, and I put them on the car, and posted pics of

the rims on the car. So even opinions were appreciated! Sometimes even a

simple "I dont know, but those look cool!" is better then not getting any reply at

all. LOL!

As for the steering wheel question, I used the adapter I bought for my 1960 Hawk

to put a Grant wheel on the Avanti. Here is a link to the model I chose :

1760.jpg

http://www.grantproducts.com/grant.fm$...tml=grantdetail

Part Number: 1760

Formula GT Wheel. Black stitched vinyl hand grip with silver anodized 3 spoke design. 15" diameter, 3-1/2" dish including styling sleeve.

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: $144.87

Tom

Not bad, steering wheel looks similar to the wheel that came stock on my '87. I've been modifying my Avanti's suspension, brakes, exhaust, wheels and drop spindles for that original rake look. Its easier for me because my Avanti uses a Monte Carlo SS frame and running gear.

I believe that these types of mechanical modifications are in the orginal spirit that Studebaker had in mind for the Avanti. High performance engines, disc brakes etc. and Andy Grantelli at the Salt Flats.

This car is my every day driver and I hope it reminds people that cars don't all have to look like jelly beans. Other then at meets I have not seen another Avanti on the road in over 10 years.

Ive been a ASE mechanic for over 30 years with my own shop. Ive tried to answer some questions on the board, but my Studebaker in not what it could be.

Not bad, steering wheel looks similar to the wheel that came stock on my '87. I've been modifying my Avanti's suspension, brakes, exhaust, wheels and drop spindles for that original rake look.

If I had an Avanti II, I would be putting an LT1/6 speed or an LS1/6 speed into the

car. The LT1 version would be quite nice, but the LS1 with more power, and a bit

lighter, could help with handling. Did the Monte framed Avanti IIs use the spacers

under the body (in between body and frame) to lift the body up like the Stude framed Avanti II's? If so, I would remove those and drop the car down that way,

then you wouldnt be compramizing the ride and suspension geometry as with a

set of lowering springs and drop spindles. Did you have a tech article in a recent

issue of Avanti Mag?? If you went with an LT1, that would eliminate the carb zone

on top of the engine and give more hood clearance.

My dad has a 1969 Avanti II, we cut the springs to drop it down, and have regreted

the fact since. It bottoms the suspension WAY too easy now. We also made a

template to cut the front fenders to the same wheel opening as the early Avanti.

Tom

If I had an Avanti II, I would be putting an LT1/6 speed or an LS1/6 speed into the

car.  The LT1 version would be quite nice, but the LS1 with more power, and a bit

lighter, could help with handling.  Did the Monte framed Avanti IIs use the spacers

under the body (in between body and frame) to lift the body up like the Stude framed Avanti II's?  If so, I would remove those and drop the car down that way,

then you wouldnt be compramizing the ride and suspension geometry as with a

set of lowering springs and drop spindles.  Did you have a tech article in a recent

issue of Avanti Mag??  If you went with an LT1, that would eliminate the carb zone

on top of the engine and give more hood clearance.

My dad has a 1969 Avanti II, we cut the springs to drop it down, and have regreted

the fact since.  It bottoms the suspension WAY too easy now.  We also made a

template to cut the front fenders to the same wheel opening as the early Avanti.

Tom

Hello, Tom, et al,

You guys are getting WAY out of my league on this discussion, I really liked the Grant steering wheel conversion idea for my '70 Avanti II. Bottom line, will it work for me?

Best regards,

Paul

Hello, Tom, et al,

You guys are getting WAY out of my league on this discussion,  I really liked the Grant steering wheel conversion idea for my '70 Avanti II.  Bottom line, will it work for me?

Sorry Paulie ... with time it will all become easy (or your head will explode! :P )

I dont see why it wouldnt work for you. From what I understand, the Avanti II

used the same steering column until the late 70's, when it got an adjustable one.

My dads 1969 still used the "Studebaker" column, though if memory serves the

1978 he had was an adjustable column. Looked like a Chrysler.

Tom