Name That Price

murph the surf

R4130, the Granatelli R3 powered Avanti that was Sherwood Egbert’s personal car, was listed for sale by him just prior to his passing. The car was priced by Mr. Egbert at:  1) $5000   2) $4750   3) $4250  4) $3900  5) $3000   6) $2500

12E8ADC5-99AF-4A76-95FC-7ACA5461467A.jpeg

Edited by murph the surf

5 minutes ago, mfg said:

WOW!...that is one HISTORIC ad!!.....I can only guess at the asking price, and my guess is........$2500:)

Certainly a logical guess for the price of a 5 year old Avanti at the time, but,not the correct answer..

14 minutes ago, regnalbob said:

$4250.00

That's the correct answer..

image0 (3).jpeg

I'd sure like to here more about the custom interior and exterior paint by George Barris......I don't remember these things ever being mentioned before in articles I've seen and read concerning Studebaker Avanti R4130!:o

Murph, not to question this, but I'm wondering if this could possibly be another '64 Avanti owned (or used) by Mr. Egbert..and not R4130?:huh:

If it is R4130 , someone went to A LOT of trouble to bring the car back to original (Paxton) condition!:o

I recall that a man named Norris owned the car back in the mid '80's.

2 hours ago, mfg said:

Murph, not to question this, but I'm wondering if this could possibly be another '64 Avanti owned (or used) by Mr. Egbert..and not R4130?:huh:

If it is R4130 , someone went to A LOT of trouble to bring the car back to original (Paxton) condition!:o

I recall that a man named Norris owned the car back in the mid '80's.

This is indeed R4130. The "all custom" that Mr. Egbert references in his ad refers to the many hand-fabricated, non production items installed on the car by Studebaker Engineering that were unique to this car, which, as we know,was was a "test mule" car for running changes to be introduced on the '64 models. Most of these items were hand-made by Engineering, and were somewhat different than the items as they subsequently appeared on the '64 models. The "built by Granatelli" references the performance modifications that were done to 4130 by Granatelli after it served it had served its duty as the "prototype"-for the interior and exterior engineering testing- at that point, the car was sent to Granatelli's shop in Santa Monica, and an R3 engine was installed, along with a unique supercharger cooling unit, as well as a set of Halibrands. Many engine accessories were chromed as well. The "custom interior" undoubtedly references the non-production styled thick back bucket seats, pre-production tilt wheel, pre-production solid color interior, wood grain trim metal-grated interior air vents, ('64's had plastic grating)  '64 style (but hand-made) rear window latches, door handles,etc etc. Quite probably as a "test mule", the finish of the car took its lumps, and George Barris's shop in Los Angeles was a logical choice for new paint.

Edited by murph the surf

5 hours ago, murph the surf said:

This is indeed R4130. The "all custom" that Mr. Egbert references in his ad refers to the many hand-fabricated, non production items installed on the car by Studebaker Engineering that were unique to this car, which, as we know,was was a "test mule" car for running changes to be introduced on the '64 models. Most of these items were hand-made by Engineering, and were somewhat different than the items as they subsequently appeared on the '64 models. The "built by Granatelli" references the performance modifications that were done to 4130 by Granatelli after it served it had served its duty as the "prototype"-for the interior and exterior engineering testing- at that point, the car was sent to Granatelli's shop in Santa Monica, and an R3 engine was installed, along with a unique supercharger cooling unit, as well as a set of Halibrands. Many engine accessories were chromed as well. The "custom interior" undoubtedly references the non-production styled thick back bucket seats, pre-production tilt wheel, pre-production solid color interior, wood grain trim metal-grated interior air vents, ('64's had plastic grating)  '64 style (but hand-made) rear window latches, door handles,etc etc. Quite probably as a "test mule", the finish of the car took its lumps, and George Barris's shop in Los Angeles was a logical and local choice for new paint.