Fun with door handles

GlennW

Are Avanti manual window crank handles a rare item? I haven't run across them for sale, but I've seen the door opening handles for $90. Why, you ask? 'cause I'm using a pair of window cranks as door latch handles :) The car was like that when I bought it in '81 and altough I'm fine with it there's always the chance a passenger will accidently open the door thinking they're going to crank down the window. Anyway, I'm curious if the window cranks in great shape are something I put up for sale if they're hard to find or add them to "the box" when I finally get around to replace them. Thanks!

The window crank handles aren't rare...the same part as other Studes of the period. It just shows how Studebaker used standard parts bin items as much as possible to save costs. New handles are available from Studebaker International for $39 each.

Edited by Gunslinger

The window crank handles aren't rare...the same part as other Studes of the period. It just shows how Studebaker used standard parts pin items as much as possible to save costs. New handles are available from Studebaker International for $39 each.

Thanks, I must've missed the window crank handles on SI's site when I looked up the $90 door latch ones. Was hoping there was a good swap in my future. Funny how they've been like that for over 30 years and now all of a sudden I get a bug up to replace them.

• 5 weeks later...

So each door has two cranks? That could tend to be very confusing. I'm surprised P.O.'s replaced the handles with cranks.

GlennW...If your window cranks have white knobs, I believe that they are a bit rare. NOS ones can be had...but I believe only black knob cranks are available, useable, but not 'factory', for an Avanti.

Rats, mine are black :( There's just the one set of handles on each door since I have power windows, but I'll still go to the correct ones eventually so there's no chance of an accidental passenger door opening while underway.