Rauen Avanti!

mfg

25 minutes ago, mfg said:

The connection between the Rauen brothers and the #28 24 hour Daytona Race Avanti was.........?

1) Chassis/body work......2) Engine techs......3) Pit crew.......4) Financial help

The body work was by Jay Roth and the frame was by Herb Adams, so that eliminates no. 1.  

• 2 weeks later...

Herb Adams did the chassis for the #28 Mid-Ohio Avanti GT and its body was a 1977 donor done at the Avanti factory.  Both the Mid-Ohio car and the Daytona car are referred to as GT's but the Mid-Ohio car is the only one of the 2 with a true Avanti body, interior and engine.  If fact the Mid-Ohio car was never intended to race, it was a prototype for the GT Blake wanted to build.  The idea to race in the Showroom Stock race at Mid-Ohio was made after the car was built and Herb had only 30 days to put together a team and make sure everything was ready to race.  No race engine, no fuel cell, no larger breaks, no racing seat.  The only thing they did was fabricate a bold in roll bar.

Herb Adams.  I own the Mid-Ohio GT and we are in the middle of a total restoration bring the car back to it's configuration when it raced.  Herb has been a wealth of information and inspiration on our restoration project.  If I am not mistaken Dan Booth own's the Daytona GT.

On 11/14/2020 at 10:23 AM, mfg said:

The connection between the Rauen brothers and the #28 24 hour Daytona Race Avanti was.........?

1) Chassis/body work......2) Engine techs......3) Pit crew.......4) Financial help

I believe that there has been some confusion between the two race Avantis that both bore the number 28.  The chassis for the Daytona car was by Ray Dillon and the engine by Bo Laws.  The chassis for the Mid-Ohio car was by Herb Adams.   

23 hours ago, studegary said:

Wapanzica and I agree that the chassis work was by Herb Adams.  What is the source of your answer?  

Elementary my dear Watson!!......The Daytona racer (#28) was built at Dillon Enterprises, then located in North Liberty, Indiana....The Rauen Brothers worked there!:)

(see...TW, Vol 15, Issue #5)