Trivia!...Avanti Script

mfg

I've seen at least one other variation, I'll say true.

I've seen at least one other variation, I'll say true.

I'd say false on this one. Studebaker had a rather strange looking 'Avanti' script on at least one pre-production car...that was later changed to the script we all know..so I'd say there were two versions done by Studebaker. A third 'modernized' version was introduced in the late Blake era, but those weren't Studes.

Outside of the "modernized" version of the script I've ever only seen one, very early variation, maybe a proposed version of the Avanti script. That same variation is what's used on Avanti brand refrigerators and other appliances.

Apparently none of that early variation were actually made up...every early photograph I've seen has either shown the Avanti without a front emblem, or has identified it as being airbrushed onto the photo. The actual production Avanti script is credited to Raymond Loewy himself and is supposed to be his personal work.

The differences I have seen, were the dot over the" i "on some reproduction scripts is poorly done. It looks kind of football shaped, whereas the originals were nice and round.

The answer is TRUE!!!, but with a qualification for a THIRD script. Studebaker had two Avanti scripts, a pre-production version and then the final version that is on all 1963-64 models. But early clay models and possible the first full scale prototype has "Studebaker" script on the nose panel.

The attached photo is proof of a very early prototype with Raymond Loewy in the driver's seat in a Studebaker factory building. Note the "Studebaker" script on the nose panel. A FOURTH Avanti script style was done later by Black.

(Click the thumbnail image for a larger view).

post-2-0-27501600-1404840809_thumb.jpg