Avanti Serial # question

Guest Jolly John

Guest Jolly John

I have owned Avanti's for years, and should know this one...but I haven't come across it before, I guess. Is the serial # of a 1963 Avanti different from the vehicle I.D. number used on the title? My memory is that it is. Where would I look on the car for the actual SERIAL NUMBER.....on the driver's side door jamb plate, OR on the plate that is on top of the frame on the passenger's side of the engine compartment? I need to have someone out of town check the serial number of an Avanti, and I've forgotten which of these locations has it. Thanks for the help. John in Wisconsin

The actual serial number or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for a Studebaker Avanti is located on a plate riveted to the upper frame on the right side of the car, just ahead of the firewall. It's quite likely it's covered by dirt and grease. That's the only place the VIN is on a Stude Avanti as far as I know. The number on the plate by the hood latch (RQ XXXX) is the body number. The VIN should read 63RXXXX or simply RXXXX depending when it was assembled. There are some VIN's that end in a "B", and I believe there's some controversy where that came from and its meaning.

Hopefully the body number doesn't become confused for the VIN and erroneously listed on a title as the VIN.

I believe the Avanti II's began putting the VIN on the door jamb.