real rodder wheels question

gordon

Looking forward to receiving real rodder wheels for my 63 R2.  What wheel lug nut should  I use?  Also: back in 63/64, did they leave the whitewalls  visible on the exterior, or did they expose the blackwalls?  What is recommended for today's use of these wheels; or is it just a personal preference?   Thanks for your feedback/thoughts on this  issue.

Welcome to the AOAI Forum.  I prefer blackwalls with any wheels of this sort.

Not related to your question, but I note that your Avanti's Serial Number is a combination of the displacements of the two main Studebaker V8s - 259 and 289.  Decades ago, a friend had a Studebaker repair and restoration business.  The last four digits of his home telephone number were 2589.  He never made the connection until I pointed it out to him.   

The Real Rodders Wheels, like the original Halibrand magnesium wheels, use a different type of lug nut than we are used to.  The wheels do not have a tapered seat, they have a flat seat.  The lug nuts also, of course, have a flat seat.  Lug nuts are supplied with the wheels.  (I have a set, that's how I know.

--Dwight (two '64 Avantis)

Back in the day, tires came in two forms: white walls on one side and black walls on both sides.  White wall tires cost more, so if you ordered white walls, you displayed them.  It would not occur to anyone to mount tires with the white wall side hidden.  Nowadays, some size tires come only in a white wall -- they're cheaper to produce and inventory than two different types.  So now one gets to decide how to mount them, rather than which type to order.  Whether to expose the white wall side is a matter of personal choice.  Some like them (I do), as long as they are more or less authentic to the style and width that would have been originally mounted.

2 hours ago, Peddler said:

I should note that my Avanti drives just as well with the Bias as the radials.  better than any old car I have ever owned.

Your previous post states; "6.70-R15".  Aren't these radial construction that are sized to look like original bias ply tires.   

Edited by studegary
added bias ply

They are Radials designed to look like bias ply.  Perhaps I said it inartfully but what I was trying to let you know that my Avanti drives great on the regular bias tires and there is very little improvement with the radial tire.  The Avanti drive and handles very well with the bias plys better than any old car I have ever owned.