production line #

chip

Ive been trying to tellĀ  from my vin # which is 63R-01012.can any body help

Chip: I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly. Are you saying that you want to learn what your production line number is? The only way I would know is to purchase a copy of your production order--from the museum and I believe one other source, but I'm not positive what the other source is. Cost is $25. from the museum, if I remember correctly. The production line number seems to be a pretty inane piece of information--why do you desire it?

Auggie

just wondering because my dad bought it in 62 and ive heard other people talk or ask ? about where mine stood .i suppose it is irrelavent thanks for your input.ps what musium.

Chip: The Studebaker National Museum in South Bend. Phone no. 574-235-9714. Web site www.studebakermuseum.org. What do you mean by "about where mine stood". If you are looking at where your father's car stood in production order or sequence the production line number is not going to tell you anything as it was just an in-house code number used during assembly. The vin no. or serial number is what tells you when during the run of some 4600 Studebaker Avantis that your father's car was built. Serial numbers began with 63R1001 and yours, if bought in '62, would be an early car with a serial no. under about 63R2500 or so. The production order will tell you the date of final assembly and all the options on the car as built, etc. It will include the production line number, but that appears, at this time in history, to be a rather irrevalent bit of data. It seems as though comewhere in the maze of info on Studebakers in the SDC sites on the internet is a chart showing month ending serial numbers or something similar, but I can't recall how to get there. Hope this helps. Any further questions just holler. Oh, by your serial no. yours is the 12th car built and in the same family since new--very "neat" and likely the earliest car built to still be with the original owners.

auggie

hey auggie. Im new to this whole net buisnes. and well under schooled scholasticly speaking. though you seem pretty with it. my dad gave me this awsomne car when i was 18 and am now 39 and reddy to start this project, moters is being machined as we type .in my cace peck. thanks for your help . i need the encouragement <_< please keep in touch. chip. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Ive been trying to tellĀ  from my vin # which is 63R-01012.can any body help

I believe this means yours was the 12th one made..... except for the 0 in front of the 01012, which is not normal to me. I have only seen 4 digit #'s after the letters. 1001 was the first one made from my understanding of the numbering system.

John R. Creek