Trivia!...Avanti Air Cleaners

mfg

Trivia...The design of the air cleaner assembly used on R2 model Avantis was changed during the Studebaker production run of these cars....True?

The question was whether it was true that Studebaker changed the air cleaner during the run. I answered true as it was changed.

My apoligies Gunslinger...I read my own question wrong!!..Time to get some sleep!

Guest dapy

Is this a trivia contest? If so the contestants are few. How to pick a winner?

• OK, who was the father of the Avanti? How old was he and what year did he pass away?

• Why did Studebaker stop making the Avanti? Who made that decision?

Gunny...don't answer. Let someone else win.

Edited by dapy

I'd say the father of the Studebaker Avanti was Sherwood Egbert. I'd also say that the father of the Avanti ll was Nathan Altman.

I'd say that Studebaker shut down Avanti production because Avantis simply weren't profitable.....When the South Bend plant was closed and all vehicle production was focused on their Hamilton, Ontario plant, only the most profitable line was kept in production....The Lark. The ultimate decision on all of this was made by the Studebaker Board Of Directors in New York.

• 3 months later...

Regarding the R2 air cleaners: I purchased an air cleaner for my '64 Avanti R2 and I'm now told that the air cleaner I got is really for a '63. They told me this because the two air filters are too long to fit inside the air cleaner housing, and one of them protrudes outside the housing. Is this true? Or do I just have the wrong air filters? What is a '64 air cleaner supposed to look like? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Regarding the R2 air cleaners: I purchased an air cleaner for my '64 Avanti R2 and I'm now told that the air cleaner I got is really for a '63. They told me this because the two air filters are too long to fit inside the air cleaner housing, and one of them protrudes outside the housing. Is this true? Or do I just have the wrong air filters? What is a '64 air cleaner supposed to look like? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

You most probably have the '63 style air cleaner...the 2nd filter (rearmost) 'hangs out' of the '63 housing. The '64 Avanti R2 air cleaner housing is longer and completely contains both filters. it has a rectangular inlet on one side. Installed, this inlet faces the bottom of the hood. I would guess Studebaker changed the air cleaner design to help silence the supercharger inlet roar.