New Avanti owner

Goodin

Hi All

I have become the owner of an avanti project and would like some help with a few things.

My car is mostly complete but rough. the car had a well meaning but "hobby" owner so I consider it a kit as it stands

1 the car has a non-functioning moon roof and I hate holes in car tops. Does anyone know if the roof structure is different other than having a hole cut in it and the sun roof stuff glued to it? I would like to remove all of it and build a repair panel to replace the "hole" if I do this are there any bracing in the non sunroof cars that I would have to construct and replace? If I do this will a new headliner kit fit or are there major changes from the two tops?

2 I have a 84 corvette parts car and am going to cut out the buggy cart steering in the avanti and replace it with the corvette xmember and suspension and steering has anyone  done this and if so do you have any measurements or photos of the swap

I am glad I found this forum as a resource and hope I won't be too much of  pest! 

The moon roof panel can be removed/repaired without any issue of strength. There is a "roll bar" behind the door post for stiffness.

The roof interior is essentially cardboard with a cover glued to the top. I replaced it in my 74 with insulation and short pile carpet.

They are hot interiors so as you strip it apart plan on adding insulation to all the cabin surfaces.

Welcome and keep asking there's a fair bit of knowledge here. I can't help with the corvette suspension question but I suspect their are folks that know.

headliner.jpg

Edited by Avanti83

Goodin

My car originally had a moonroof and a previous owner removed it.  Turned out very nice  

Dan Booth of Nostalgic Motors has NOS roof skins advertised in the latest Avanti magazine. He also has a wealth of information. Good luck. Mike

the corvette front suspension is exactly what I'm doing. what is the source of the photos and are there any of the build as it progressed

Is the owner a member   and how would I contact them for more information. thanks so much for posting these

thanks for the photos of your headliner mods. looks great. I have extensive fiberglass working experience so filling the hole left by the moon roof will be a piece of cake

On 9/18/2020 at 7:35 PM, Goodin said:

1 the car has a non-functioning moon roof and I hate holes in car tops. Does anyone know if the roof structure is different other than having a hole cut in it and the sun roof stuff glued to it? I would like to remove all of it and build a repair panel to replace the "hole" if I do this are there any bracing in the non sunroof cars that I would have to construct and replace? If I do this will a new headliner kit fit or are there major changes from the two tops?

After trying to seal the moonroof in my '83 Avanti 'everyday driver' for awhile, I too decided it was time for it to go!

I removed the glass panel, but left the moonroof framework intact to give a bit more support to the 1/8" virgin fiberglass sheet I cut to fit.

Of course there was quite a lot of body work/filling to be done..but as this Avanti was/is my primary source of transportation year round, I didn't have much time to waste.

So starting in on this project after work on a Friday evening, I had the job completed Sunday afternoon and was on the road, back to work, Monday morning.

I handled fabbing up a new headliner as a separate project, using a piece of hardboard cut to fit,... the new panel tucked under the leading edge of the roll bar cover forward to the windshield weatherstrip....I made up trim mouldings to support the new headliners L&R sides, and painted the new panel my Avanti's interior color before installation....Good luck with you project!!......Ed:)

mfg - you said:  "I removed the glass panel, but left the moonroof framework intact to give a bit more support to the 1/8" virgin fiberglass sheet I cut to fit."

Does this mean that a flat sheet will conform properly to the shape of the existing roof?  Is there a lot of filler to get the shape right?  I would like to remove the sunroof, luggage rack and fuel door lock on my '81 .  Ed M

Not to speak for Ed, but the trunk rack and fuel door lock are straight forward. I removed the luggage rack and just filled the holes. You could either just weld a patch into the fuel door or find one without the lock. 

Using 1/8" sheet would allow you to just build a couple of wooden supports the curve you want in the roof, screw them underneath the existing roof and add the sheet. Glass and fill the patch, then remove the supports and fill the holes. If it seems a little weak, glass a second sheet underneath for strength.

Otherwise you could take the earlier suggestion of buying a partial roof panel and replace the section containing the sun roof.

On 9/21/2020 at 9:18 AM, Ed M said:

mfg - you said:  "I removed the glass panel, but left the moonroof framework intact to give a bit more support to the 1/8" virgin fiberglass sheet I cut to fit."

Does this mean that a flat sheet will conform properly to the shape of the existing roof?  Is there a lot of filler to get the shape right?  I would like to remove the sunroof, luggage rack and fuel door lock on my '81 .  Ed M

Hello Ed, Bob (Avanti 83) has done a great job on his '83, and has tackled the project we're discussing here ...His mention of forming the subtle curve in your Avanti's roof panel with wood supports (thin) is a very sensible one!

When I did this job, I remember I cut the new fiberglass sheet with my jigsaw so it was a perfect fit in the existing factory moonroof opening......I pretty much had to 'squeeze' it in place,.. and that slight pressure on the new panel automatically conformed it to the desired subtle Avanti roof curve.

Before I press fit the new panel in, I ground around the existing roof opening about 4" all the way around to help 'blend' the new sheet in....there is probably 3/16...1/4" of filler around the circumference, with a light skim of filler across the entire repair.

Actually, if it were an Avanti I intended to show, I probably would have been more fussy...however, my '83 is truly an everyday driver and I'm happy with the end result!

I did this job approx. ten years ago and my head has been dry ever since!............Ed:D

Edited by mfg