Fresh air cooling for transmission console

Phil P.

I have two 2” air holes in the cowl area directly below the cowl grill. While there is nothing in the service manual, the parts manual states that sometime after R4000 fresh air tubes are routed from the cowl to the console area apparently to relieve transmission heat. Mine has no tubes and I don’t know why the holes are there. Is anyone familiar with this late model addition? Where would rain water and other run off end up? Thanks, Phil P. 

Studebaker Service Letter F-1964-6, 12/5/63, three pages, covers the Console Cooling Kit.  It lists the 23 parts and gives the installation directions.  Yes, there should be "tubes"/hoses. 

Those tubes in the cowl should be raised  off the floor an inch or so.  They should also have "hats" over them that prevent water from getting into the area behind the dash, which would be disastrous.    Any water entering the cowl runs off to the left or right and down the chute in the kick panel into the hog troughs.  

The cooling tubes are approx 1.5" ID and run from the underside of the cowl, down behind the A/C area and terminate in front of the shifter area to play cool air on the metal parts.  They do help. Don't use corrugated tubing ( vacuum cleaner type) The smoother the inside of the tubing, the better the airflow.

Thanks so much for the clarifications. From the records I have, it appears that this car was partially restored approx. 10 yrs ago. I discovered the open tubes (with no “hats”) while doing some defroster duct work. While there is no evident water damage, even washing the car could have a bad outcome. I plan to remove the inlet tubes and seal the holes w/ sheet metal and sealant. This forum has been a life saver so far. Thanks, Phil

Here in the desert, hot outside air is of little benefit to cool the scorching hot Borg Warner transmission. My air tubes were completely rotted and I had no desire to replace them. So a trip to the local hardware for two rubber stoppers solved the air and water penetration problem. I used silicone adhesive and a rubber mallet to install the stoppers to the cowl opening. 

Edited by Desert Driver

I replace the rotten cloth hoses with drain hose from a washing machine, and the rubber adapter they include with the hose I secured with a hose clamp to the inside "stub". No leaks ever, even if you were to not have the "hat" deflector over the top of the tube. The other ends of the hose are directed through the console, and end up directing the air flow in front of the shifter, and not inside the car. So any water would fall to the top of the transmission, and out to the ground without getting into the interior. Make sure that the end of the hose is sealed so hot  air doesn't get around the tubes back up into the passenger compartment under the console.