Odd Paxton Supercharger Color

mfg

I recently purchased a Paxton SN supercharger in good operating condition. This particular Paxton was painted white. (by the factory) A friend told Me that Paxton SN's leaving the factory painted white were intended for Chrysler products, like the supercharged 340 Dodge Darts put together at Grand Spaulding Dodge years ago. Does anyone know if this story is accurate? Thanks!

What model SN blower is it? That could be a clue.

This is a paxton 'SN-60' supercharger...definitely factory white. It does have a metal warranty tag riveted to the upper curved part of the front housing (Above the paper decal that say's Division Of Studebaker.)

Serial # on housing...S201602107.

Since the Paxton's were a dealer installed option and not official Mopar sanctioned, it may simply be that either white was specified by Mr. Norm or possibly by Paxton to make it identifiable as to the specs...it put out seven pounds of boost compared to the five or six pounds on a Studebaker application.

It seems that in the 340 Mopar application a lesser compression ratio was used than the R2 9:1, but with higher boost.

After all this time, without documentation or direct information from someone involved in the dealer effort, the correct reason may not be known.

Paxtons that were destined for Shelbys were painted white.

Based on that, I would guess that Mr. Norm purchased the same blower and tailored the compression ratio and induction to match its specs. That would likely be less expensive than having Paxton engineer a specific blower to such a low volume application.

Paxtons that were destined for Shelbys were painted white.

Shelby Mustangs? OK thank You. It might be for a Chrysler or for a Ford. To tell You the truth, the few supercharged Mustangs I have seen have had blue painted Paxton superchargers, with special Shelby decals, so I don't know.

Last November, the World of Muscle Car and Corvette National Show were at the Stephen's Convention Center in Chicago. I did see 2 Dodge Darts that had the Mr Norm/Grand Spaulding Dodge treatment with the Paxton Superchargers. I remember them as being black. The show was commemorating 50 years and had a class of 63 on display. Ed George had his R3 powered Avanti there along with Eric DeRosa with his 63 R2 powered Lark.

Thank You for that info...if the superchagers were painted black on two cars at that show...I'd say that black is most probably the correct color for the superchargers on these special Mopars. Has anyone else seen a factory 'white' Paxton supercharger?

I did get pictures of both, which I looked up yesterday in my iPhoto on the computer. Black supercharger was mounted in the same place as they were on the 63 & 64 R2 Larks. The Darts also had full R3 type air boxes also painted black. I would send pix but the forum tells me the pix are too big to post.

If you are going to replace a Paxton in your R2 Avanti, or if adding one to an existing 289 R1 it should be Avanti orange.

If adding one don't you have to change other (expensive) things? Unmechanical me...

Add a supercharger to a stock R1 and you'll end up with a grenade on your hands. The compression ratio needs to be lowered to be safe. The least that will happen is detonation in the cylinders, which can lead to detonation of the engine.

R1 and R2 engines use different model distributors with different advance curves, different cylinder heads, different carburetors, different heat range spark plugs and likely other changes. That's not to say a R1 can't be turned into an R2, but it's more than simply adding the supercharger.

Stock factory supplied superchargers on Studebakers were black. Orange units were Paxton supplied factory replacements or warranty replacements.

Since they are visually more appealing many (including me) paint them orange for more bling.

The white blowers were for 67-68 Shelby products. Blue ones were different year Ford offerings.

Thanks for the info. So if this white supercharger was indeed meant for a '67-'68 Shelby, would its pressure output be the same as the superchargers supplied for Studebaker Avantis? (I suppose pulley diameter would have an effect on this, and this white painted supercharger didn't come with a pulley.)

The boost will be about the same as an Avanti blower. Increasing spring pack pressure to get more boost would shorten the blower life dramatically. The impeller can be shimmed a bit closer to the srcoll cover for a little more boost, The impeller can be changed to a newer one with the curved intake tips. You can change pulleys to spin it faster....(still shortens blower life), or a VR-4 blower with the vastly improved impeller, If you leave the ball drive behind and persue the Novi gear drive blowers, up to 20lbs boost is available.

Brad

• 3 weeks later...

Great photos of that supercharged Ford engine. I wonder how many people who have seen that Ford engine have realized there's a Studebaker part on it? (Besides the 289!!!!!!)

• 9 months later...

A few days ago I viewed a 'Paradise Wheels' ad on e-bay,...and there was a white Paxton supercharger shown as part of a complete small block Mopar kit....So I guess on a Mopar, Paxton's painted black OR white would probably be 'correct'!

....................And 'blue' for Fords!