Looking for 1985 Avanti parts

gold63

Just purchased 1985 Avanti RQB 4227, flew to southern CA and drove it back to central NE over the weekend. Quite a trip, no real travel problems. I had alot of time to think about what I need to do to this car to make needed repairs. I have a 63 avanti, and although they are similar, there are some differences.

I will add to my post tomorrow some things I need and questions and would appreciate anyone's input.

I haven't done a long Avanti trip in some time, and it was really fun to get people's reaction going down the road!

Hey that trip You made in Your 'new' '85 avanti must have been a lot of fun! What type of work does Your '85 need? I also own an '85, (RQB 4234), and a '63, as You do. Although the cars are similar in appearance, as You say there are many differences between the two. Looking forward to hearing more about Your car!

After looking through my Avanti magazine I found answers to a few of my repairs. But here are a couple that I have:

1) The passenger door armrest/ interior grab handle is not fastened and just flops down w/ no way to shut the door from inside unless you roll the window down and hold the door. The retainers/clips that go into the door panel and receive a screw are gone. Are those a standard retainer I can get at a body shop? One is gone from the drivers side, too.

2) There was not an owner's manual w/ this car. I really would like one. Is there a reproduction one out there or an original? What about a the body/chassis or workshop manual as well?

3) The luggage rack for the trunk deck was off on this car. I have it, but am missing one rubber retainer and a grommet that goes into the deck lid itself. Is that available through a vendor? Not sure if I will put it back on, but it would help to open the trunk lid.

4) The front end needs to be gone through, A/C charged, a better exhaust, and some electrical repairs.

Overall still a very nice car. I am pleased w/ my milegae after reading other's comments. I have the HO 305 w/ 200 R4 and averaged 19-22 mpg on my 1500 mile trip back.( and that was running 78-80 mph). There is a small deadspot in the carb off idle, probably the plunger, but I hate to mess w/it just yet as it starts and runs well.

It was great to get the thumbs up and waves on the road. Fuel stops always take longer.

Welcome to the Forum! Since you have a '63, you must be familiar with the basics of the Avanti platform. Post-Altman era cars stray further from the originals for a variety of reasons...meeting changing federal requirements, market changes, the need to source new parts as original parts run out, etc. There's not a whole lot of documentation out there on many of these changes...when they began, where the parts were sourced, special orders, etc.

1). Door armrest and pull handle...the pull handle can be reattached by nutserts. That's a threaded fitting you install in the inner fiberglass door panel that allows a threaded nut to attach through the door pull end piece. Nutserts kits are available in most fully stocked auto supply stores. In my car, one end of the door pull had the attaching hole on one end too rounded out for the nutserts to work. In that case I took the door panel off and epoxied and pop riveted a steel plate about two inches square to the door, then drilled and tapped it to take a bolt, thus making for a secure connection between the door pull and door. If your '85 is like my '70, the armrest itself is attached to the upholstered door panel itself. I can't help you on that one as I've never looked into how that is done.

2). Avanti Motors rarely issued updated owners manuals. Around 1971 they began issuing a vary basic one and simply made changes to it and ink stamped the year on the cover. Reprints of that manual are available from Studebaker International but only in its original version...it probably has little in common with an '85. Occasionally a later one pops up on eBay.

3). Luggage rack rubber base...try an auto shop like NAPA, Pep Boys, Auto Zone or Advance Auto in their Help sections. They have numerous rubber parts that might match or even a different design that might work if you buy a set for all attaching points so they look alike. Even a body shop may have something in inventory for their work. If none of that works, try Nostalgic Motors or Myer's Studebaker.

4) Front end... Everything is available and is virtually the same as your '63. About the only major difference is your car will have the "quick steering arms" rather than the ones in your '63. The '85 has a different steering box and maybe few other differences, but essentially the same. If you feel it necessary to rebuild the front end, you can buy a complete kit at a discount from Studebaker International.

For the exhaust, the simplest thing is to take the car to a speed shop or exhaust place that fabricates systems. As long as your state allows it for a car that old, you can have a true dual exhaust system fabricated in a bigger diameter for freer flowing. If you have to legally, high flow catalytic converters are available and they're not hateful in cost. When my '70 was rebuilt, I had 2 1/2" pipes installed in place of the 2" to improve engine breathing by reducing back pressure. Aluminized pipes are great...less expensive than stainless steel, easier to work with and will last nearly as long as stainless...probably as long as you own the car.

Electrical repairs...you didn't specify but I've found two major issues with that...bad grounds and undoing what previous owners have done. If you have the shop and parts manuals from Studebaker, the electrical schematic is very helpful. To be sure, your '85 varies greatly from the original, but it's a good basis to work from.

Your carburetor is probably the computer controlled Quadrajet, and while an excellent carb, they do require someone who understands them. It may be a simple repair like a plunger as you mentioned...or an accelerator pump or something else easily repaired, but I've always considered carburetors voodoo and only carburetor witch doctors can fix them. I can and have screwed up a one-barrel on a lawn mower. I leave carbs to those who know them.

Overall, your best source for specific parts and knowledge on post-Altman Avantis is Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors. When Avanti Motors moved from South Bend to Youngstown, Ohio Dan purchased all their previous parts inventory and documents that existed. Between Dan, Jon Myers and Studebaker International you should be in good shape for parts and service advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I own #4245 - also an '85 -

1- you should be able to get a clip locally if you haven't already - did you need a pic of one? I have my passenger door apart now so it's be easy for me to get a pic for you.

2 - I created a PDF version of the one that came with my car - you can find it at http://www.Avanti4245.com

3 - like one of these? http://aerobolt.com.au/media/Image/cache/R800600-RUB_NUT.jpg

4 - I've had the computer controlled Quadrajets rebuilt by SMC in SoCal. Only problem is they are so good, they are always busy and a 3month lead time is not unusual. Save it for the winter.

James

After looking through my Avanti magazine I found answers to a few of my repairs. But here are a couple that I have:
1) The passenger door armrest/ interior grab handle is not fastened and just flops down w/ no way to shut the door from inside unless you roll the window down and hold the door. The retainers/clips that go into the door panel and receive a screw are gone. Are those a standard retainer I can get at a body shop? One is gone from the drivers side, too.
2) There was not an owner's manual w/ this car. I really would like one. Is there a reproduction one out there or an original? What about a the body/chassis or workshop manual as well?
3) The luggage rack for the trunk deck was off on this car. I have it, but am missing one rubber retainer and a grommet that goes into the deck lid itself. Is that available through a vendor? Not sure if I will put it back on, but it would help to open the trunk lid.
4) The front end needs to be gone through, A/C charged, a better exhaust, and some electrical repairs.
Overall still a very nice car. I am pleased w/ my milegae after reading other's comments. I have the HO 305 w/ 200 R4 and averaged 19-22 mpg on my 1500 mile trip back.( and that was running 78-80 mph). There is a small deadspot in the carb off idle, probably the plunger, but I hate to mess w/it just yet as it starts and runs well.
It was great to get the thumbs up and waves on the road. Fuel stops always take longer.

Edited by jvespey

James,

A pic would be great as I have not been able to find one yet. That is the rubber grommet. I will look at the PDF later but I'm sure that will be helpful.

The car is at my front end guy's shop about 45 miles away right now. (5:30 am) Just ordered the king pin & control arm bushings for it.

Exhaust is done. Hope to have it back soon.

Thanks for your help,sunslinger & mfg ,too!

I own #4245 - also an '85 -

1- you should be able to get a clip locally if you haven't already - did you need a pic of one? I have my passenger door apart now so it's be easy for me to get a pic for you.

2 - I created a PDF version of the one that came with my car - you can find it at http://www.Avanti4245.com

3 - like one of these? http://aerobolt.com.au/media/Image/cache/R800600-RUB_NUT.jpg

4 - I've had the computer controlled Quadrajets rebuilt by SMC in SoCal. Only problem is they are so good, they are always busy and a 3month lead time is not unusual. Save it for the winter.

James

James

That PDF is a lot of good info. Thanks for posting. Bob

Edited by Avanti83

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Greetings From Lowell, Vermont.

I also have an 85 Avanti --- the very last Avanti with the original Studebaker frame.  Just today I took the car to a custom exhaust fabricator.

He will have no problem building a complete exhaust system for the car.  That would be my advice for anyone needing exhaust work on a

post Studebaker Avanti, as they are difficult because of the X-frame with minimum clearances. (referring to 65 thru 85 models)

Lorin Warner

Edited by Lorin Warner
incorrect information

If there's a good fabricator nearby that's an excellent suggestion but if not, Don Simmons of Silvertone Exhaust in Canada builds stainless steel systems in 2" and 2 1/4" that fit beautifully on those cars, have his 2 1/4" setup on my 83. No cheap but well worth the price.

Edited by Avanti83