Avanti R4849!

mfg

1 hour ago, Gunslinger said:

The console plate was changed from all covered in vinyl to the one with five control slots rather than four and the walnut appliqué.  

No:(, the change which you describe happened approximately thirty units later.

2 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

According to the Body and Parts Manual it occurred at R4849.  

I'm not one to question the Avanti Body Parts Manual.....however, an Avanti expert and historian/author we've all have heard of stated that the change (which you mentioned in your first post) happened at Avantis# R4877-79. (Amongst several other changes that occurred at that point.)

ANSWER....The change made at Avanti serial# R4849 was the console lid hinge being changed from the early type to a piano type hinge!:o

Nope...the manual states it was the console transmission mounting plate...not the hinge.  Look at diagram part 2138-32 in the manual.  It clearly states  it occurred at R4849.  

7 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

Nope...the manual states it was the console transmission mounting plate...not the hinge.  Look at diagram part 2138-32 in the manual.  It clearly states  it occurred at R4849.  

No, I disagree with you on this....you are confusing the "console mounting plate" with the restyled piano type hinge that went into production at Avanti R4849.:(

I wasn't sure about that hinge myself, so I went out to check my own '63 Avanti, which is an early model, and my '73, which is set up like a late Stude Avanti would be.....The hinges are COMPLETELY different (not even close!)

Answer to this trivia question remains....... A revamped console lid hinge at Avanti R4849.

(Not to worry Gunslinger, no doubt Regnalbob will 'swoop' in shortly with info that will vindicate your position!:D)

PS....Check page 187 of the '63 Avanti Parts Catalog.....item 2138-39.

Edited by mfg
Added P.S.

No vindication necessary...the manual is very clear.  While the hinge was also changed at R4849 it doesn't invalidate my answer...other than you're setting yourself up as sole arbiter of right and wrong when it comes to all things Avanti.  

10 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

No vindication necessary...the manual is very clear.  While the hinge was also changed at R4849 it doesn't invalidate my answer...other than you're setting yourself up as sole arbiter of right and wrong when it comes to all things Avanti.  

No arbitration necessary here...Your first post stated that a "walnut applique'" was added to the "console plate" at Avanti serial# R4849....wrong!.....that change was phased in at serial # R4730!

You're also not correct when you say the early console plate was covered in vinyl......It was painted.;)

Edited by mfg
Typo