'81-'85 rear wheel bearings and seals

mfg

I had a heck of a time finding the correct rear wheel bearings and inner and outer rear axle grease seals for My '83 Avanti (RQB3655). Finally found the proper parts, so I thought I'd share this info. I think all the '81-'85 Avanti rear axles would be the same. (Very much different from earlier Avanti rear axles)...Rear wheel bearing: National A-10. Rear axle outer grease seal: Dura Last (Auto Zone) D9912. Rear axle inner grease seal: National 481837.

• 2 weeks later...

Good information. Thanks!

These are the bearings that require you to use a drill press and chisel to remove the collar off the rear axle right?

Yes that's correct....I had to figure out for Myself that splitting that collar was the only way to remove the bearing and outer seal....but the new A-10 wheelbearing comes with a new collar and detailed instructions. It's one of those jobs that seems fairly easy once You've done the first one!

• 7 years later...

RQB3263 81/305..... well I been here done this ... I dont recall any real problem getting parts .... part numbers are on the old bearings etc..... but....  I took my axles to a local 4X4 shop ( in Keystone Heights, Florida)  to have the bearings installed figuring they would have experience and tools ... so here is what happened....the ham fisted yokel  doing the job with the bearing and collars i supplied,  torched off the old bearing (s), and the proceeded to press the new bearing and collar onto a hot axle....well the first one had time to cool so no problem there....but the second one broke the collar... too make it worse he tried to give it to me broken !!  fortunately I spotted the break and I supplied a new collar and got the job done right the second time..and he still charged me for screwing it up....so a word to the wise , inspect other peoples work and your own.... If im not mistaken that collar is the only thing holding that axle in so this could have had disastrous consequences .....BILL.... RQB 3263

On 1/2/2022 at 9:15 AM, wildfelr said:

RQB3263 81/305..... well I been here done this ... I dont recall any real problem getting parts .... part numbers are on the old bearings etc..... but....  I took my axles to a local 4X4 shop ( in Keystone Heights, Florida)  to have the bearings installed figuring they would have experience and tools ... so here is what happened....the ham fisted yokel  doing the job with the bearing and collars i supplied,  torched off the old bearing (s), and the proceeded to press the new bearing and collar onto a hot axle....well the first one had time to cool so no problem there....but the second one broke the collar... too make it worse he tried to give it to me broken !!  fortunately I spotted the break and I supplied a new collar and got the job done right the second time..and he still charged me for screwing it up....so a word to the wise , inspect other peoples work and your own.... If im not mistaken that collar is the only thing holding that axle in so this could have had disastrous consequences .....BILL.... RQB 3263

Yes, I can understand why you were a bit upset...I would be too!....The last time I replaced one of those rear axle bearings I split the old collar with a chisel, then it was relatively easy to slide the old bearing off the shaft......no torch required!!

After cleaning things up it was fairly easy to push the new bearing and collar into place. (using a press)