Avanti Employee!

mfg

In 1989, eighty one year old Mel Sesse, who worked at Avanti Automotive Corp., was called "the world's oldest active automaker"...his job there was .........?......

1) interior upholstery......2)  engine set-up & tune......3) dashboard assembly.....4) final  road testing

Edited by mfg
punctuation

2 hours ago, mfg said:

In 1989, eighty one year old Mel Sesse, who worked at Avanti Automotive Corp., was called "the world's oldest active automaker"...his job there was .........?......

1) interior upholstery......2)  engine set-up & tune......3) dashboard assembly.....4) final  road testing

I am going to guess 4) final road test.  That would be for 158 Avantis built for that year.   

11 hours ago, studegary said:

I am going to guess 4) final road test.  That would be for 158 Avantis built for that year.   

No, he didn't road test the cars!:(

• 1 year later...

I remember, at least for the 88's, them using an 'old' guy promoting the fine hand finishing of the dash wood.

14 hours ago, pantera928 said:

Dashboard assembly

3 hours ago, wdaly said:

I remember, at least for the 88's, them using an 'old' guy promoting the fine hand finishing of the dash wood.

Yes, that was Mel's job at Avanti!

22 hours ago, silverstude said:

Mel was my inspiration, when I installed an 89 Dash in my 70.  

An '89 Avanti dash in a '70...sounds like a big job!

On 5/25/2022 at 11:05 AM, mfg said:

An '89 Avanti dash in a '70...sounds like a big job!

It's actually close to a bolt in. If you use the whole dash the console would need to be modified. If you modify the dash you can keep the 74 console like I did.

avanti dash.jpg

I used the entire console and mated  it with the lower 70 original.  All the gauges are Autometer.  After I bought two of the 89 heat/cool system controls (Chrysler), I did not like the design and went with original A/C knobs on the lower part of the light switch panel.   The panel has indicators for all the lights and 700R4 Trans lockup / The heat/fresh air controls are above the left knee / the A/C unit has an integral hot water pass-thru so you really get "defrost". /  The shifter is from a mid 90s Camaro and required a floor be installed underneath, which also prevents a lot of heat transfer  The shifter also has the neutral safety switch and backup light controls.   The A-Pillar guage pod is for the SN-60. / Tilt Column is from a 90s Chevy Panel truck, Wheel is  Momo.  E-brake handle is on the floor..... and the Mel inspiration Dash inlay was created by making a mold from the 89 dash cavity and using high quality furniture grade plywood in 3 pieces veneered in Carpathian Burl Elm and sealed in clear epoxy.  

0381dashcps.jpg

1 hour ago, pantera928 said:

Both look great but my wife would be asking for her make up box with the folding mirror

WAIT - you allow your Wife IN the Car!😳