"Operation Avanti Airlift" Tribute update...

Gunslinger

Things are firming up for the tribute to the original Avanti airlift. The date will be June 28 at the Hagerstown Regional Airport which is the home of the Hagerstown Aviation Museum. The Museum is happy to make available to us their C-82 for photos with our Avantis. The exact location at the airport has to be worked out but it's not a real problem...just setting it up for best advantage and to keep the event clear of airport operations.

The time of day hasn't been set but that will be determined in due course.

I've provided the Museum with several photos from the original airlift and they hope to incorporate them and the Avanti connection in a C-82 exhibit. Whether that will take place for the Tribute event or simply for future plans is unknown to me at this time.

The best part is that the Hampton Inn I-81 is happy to be designated the official even hotel for the event and has reserved a block of rooms and giving participants a special rate...$99.00 per night. The Hampton Inn is less than 2.5 miles from the airport. They've set up a web page where attendees can go directly make reservations...http://bit.ly/AvantiAirlift. Of course, one can call them directly for reservations and all you need to do is mention the event for the special rate.

There will be features in the next two issues of Avanti Magazine regarding this and the second will be updated as plans get firmed up. I'll also be making updates here as needed as well. Once I have a better idea of how many will attend, I can look for a close-by restaurant willing to host us for a post-event meal. There's a pizza and fried chicken restaurant adjacent to the Museum which may serve for that but I'm open to alternatives.

I'll work on a press release to local television and print media to help promote the event. Such coverage can work to raise the public profile of the Avanti and the Museum...a definite positive for both us and the Museum for working together to make this happen.

As of right now, I've been contacted by maybe four or five members who plan on attending. Hopefully we'll have many more stopping by on their way to Dover for the International Meet. I would really like see this become a big success for the Avanti brand.

Anyone who has any comments or ideas to add to the event please feel free to either add them here for discussion or send me a private message.