wire wheels

arkus

i have wire wheels on my '80. my production order lists wire wheels. avanti price list for 1980 lists wire wheels (5) at a cost of $1450.00.  question is what company made them? there is no company identification that i could find anywhere on the rim. $290.00 apiece 40 years ago seems like a lot of money. ideas and/or opinions welcome.

That $1450 was the upcharge over the steel wheels and wheelcovers that would have been standard.  I do not believe that I ever saw a 1980 with regular steel wheels.  Most 1980s that I remember had Magnum 500 wheels. I know that none of this helps to answer your question - just my comments.  With 147 1980 Avantis built, I guess that some others had wire wheels and someone here can answer your question.

The interesting thing is both Dayton and Borrani were available as true knock-offs.

The original owner added Daytons to my '63 custom and I have a set of five Borrani from an '80.  They're both heavier than the hubs of hell.  It seems the Borrani had better chrome than the Dayton, but maybe better maintenance and storage as well.

jack vines

2 hours ago, PackardV8 said:

The interesting thing is both Dayton and Borrani were available as true knock-offs.

The original owner added Daytons to my '63 custom and I have a set of five Borrani from an '80.  They're both heavier than the hubs of hell.  It seems the Borrani had better chrome than the Dayton, but maybe better maintenance and storage as well.

jack vines

This reminds me of when I had my Acura at the local Mercedes-Benz dealer.  The dealer told me that M-B no longer offers chrome wheels because they do not last.  I had him look at my Acura's chrome wheels that were more than a dozen years old at that time and still appeared as new.  

Bob Bourke put knock off Borrani wire wheels on his custom 1954 Starliner.  When we redid the car, we priced getting the wheels rechromed.  That caused us to paint the wheels with aluminum paint (IIRC), that is still on the wheels, on the car at the SNM.    

2 hours ago, studegary said:

Bob Bourke put knock off Borrani wire wheels on his custom 1954 Starliner.  When we redid the car, we priced getting the wheels rechromed.  That caused us to paint the wheels with aluminum paint (IIRC), that is still on the wheels, on the car at the SNM.    

The chrome on the Daytons on the '63 were rusty.  I had them sandblasted and powdercoated gold to match the paint on the car.  Since the car was customized by George Barris, King of the Kustomizers, now the gold wheels actually are more period-correct Kalifornia Kustom than the original chrome.

jack vines

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2020 at 9:44 AM, PackardV8 said:

jack vines

Mr. Vines, can I assume that the 5 Borrani wire wheels you have fit all early Avanti's ? I have been looking for a set for my 1978 Avanti II, R Q B 2802 . Mine came with the stock 500 mag set of 5. So do I understand that you have a set of Dayton wire wheels on your '63 and still have the set of 5 Borrani wire wheels ? Since they are older wires, are they bolt on or the knock off type ? What shape are they in and are they for sale ?

AL            acagent99

12 minutes ago, ACAGENT99 said:

Mr. Vines, can I assume that the 5 Borrani wire wheels you have fit all early Avanti's ? I have been looking for a set for my 1978 Avanti II, R Q B 2802 . Mine came with the stock 500 mag set of 5. So do I understand that you have a set of Dayton wire wheels on your '63 and still have the set of 5 Borrani wire wheels ? Since they are older wires, are they bolt on or the knock off type ? What shape are they in and are they for sale ?

AL            acagent99

Just for grins, my 83 Listed 4 wire wheels for $1160. These are the ones that came with the car when I bought it.

They are for sale.

wheels 831.jpg

wheel 83.jpg

Hello Mr. Vines, thanks for the quick response, the wheels look a bit rough, I would prefer newer wheels that I can just install without  having to refurbish them.

Thank again, tho,       AL

I had wire wheels on my 63 and could not wait to be rid of them (they were Dayton's)

5 flats with the inner tubes and maintenance. due to chrome flaking on inside and creating sharp points that punctured the inner tubes

Best decision ever to sell them and exchange for American Racing Salt flat wheels!

Hello Studquest, thanks for the info, I also went thru the same issues you had with Kelsey Hayes wires on a 57 T-Bird years ago. I will only buy wire wheels that do not require inner tubes.

Dayton still accepts orders for wire wheels, but tells me it would be several months to fill the order.

I am going to a local wheel and tire shop next month that can order them for me with a reasonable delivery time.

AL