Last Avanti?

mfg

3 hours ago, mfg said:

Studebaker Avanti R5643 was the last Avanti to come off of the production line.......True?

That depends on your definition.  It was the last regular production Avanti.  Early prototype Avantis were upgraded and received higher serial numbers, but didn't come off a production line later.  Not an Avanti, but other Studebakers came off the production line later, such as Zip Vans.  IMO, the statement is true.  

7 hours ago, studegary said:

That depends on your definition.  It was the last regular production Avanti.  Early prototype Avantis were upgraded and received higher serial numbers, but didn't come off a production line later.  Not an Avanti, but other Studebakers came off the production line later, such as Zip Vans.  IMO, the statement is true.  

Sorry, true is incorrect.:(

Correct answer......FALSE!:o

3 hours ago, studegary said:

Please explain your conclusion.

Sure Gary, however, I think I'll give it a couple days and see if anyone can figure out the reason R5643 wasn't the last Studebaker Avanti off the production line!

HINT!......We're not talking 'garden variety' R1 or R2 Avanti here!:)

Since R5642 was built at the same time and was also an R3, perhaps you feel that this one finished up last.   

Edited by studegary
tried to improve grammar

20 hours ago, studegary said:

Since R5642 was built at the same time and was also an R3, perhaps you feel that this one finished up last.   

No:(, in all probability R5642 was completed before R5643.

ANSWER.... R5643 will always be considered the last 'production'  Studebaker Avanti built...there's no question about that.....however, it was not the last Studebaker Avanti to come off of the production line!.....Why?.................because Avanti R5643 (and no doubt the other eight R3 Avantis), was completed in the Studebaker Engineering Department!:o

This, of course, was due to the myriad of special 'R3specific' changes that had to be made to this Avanti and, once again, the other eight.

Also, the 'normal' Studebaker Avanti production line was shut down at least several days before 12/31/63, the completion date of R5643.

It would be interesting to find out exactly which R1 or R2 Studebaker Avanti really was the last Avanti off the production line!:)

7 hours ago, studegary said:

I think that it may have been the last Avanti off the production line even though it was not yet completed.

That's alright Gary, you're entitled to your opinion, however, I have reliable information on this subject!....Ed

Answer to this trivia question.....FALSE!:)