Drip rail

PHD

What have people used as a sealant between the drip rails and the roof and The A pillar.  Mine are coming off while I install new weather stripping.  Also, where does the water drain that goes into into the grate in front of the windshield? 64R5218

2DBCC64E-23B2-4F4D-A7C3-31B7C6D761A1.jpeg

3M brand auto body sealant (#8500) in a caulking tube works well, but almost any brand water repellant automotive sealant will do the job.

After water enters through the cowl screen, it runs down the sides of the cowl (L&R), between the inside of the fenders and the cowl, down to drain holes, which are located at the bottom of the L&R front fenders.

It's a good idea to occasionally check to make sure these bottom drain holes remain open, as the are very susceptible to clogging from debris, old bodywork, etc.:o

The water from the grate below the windshield empties into the hog troughs.  There are places it can drain, but if they're clogged with leaves or debris, the water will stand and rust out the steel.  It's a good idea to drill two or three 3'8" holes in the bottom of them.    By doing that, you can partake of the best Avanti rust preventative measure ever thought of.   That is, to plug up those holes and pour a quart of used motor oil down the  opening at the kick panel ,by removing the grille and lifting out the flapper door.  Do this on each side every year or two.  Let it stay in for a week or two of driving and then pull the plugs over a couple newspapers.      

I can guarantee you that this will coat the inside of the steel channel and prevent any rust or corrosion.

On 7/28/2020 at 8:02 PM, silverstude said:

The water from the grate below the windshield empties into the hog troughs.  There are places it can drain, but if they're clogged with leaves or debris, the water will stand and rust out the steel.  It's a good idea to drill two or three 3'8" holes in the bottom of them.    By doing that, you can partake of the best Avanti rust preventative measure ever thought of.   That is, to plug up those holes and pour a quart of used motor oil down the  opening at the kick panel ,by removing the grille and lifting out the flapper door.  Do this on each side every year or two.  Let it stay in for a week or two of driving and then pull the plugs over a couple newspapers.      

I can guarantee you that this will coat the inside of the steel channel and prevent any rust or corrosion.

It must be those three foot eight inch (44 inches) holes that do the job 😃. I know that you mean 3/8" (three eighths of an inch)

Edited by studegary

On 7/28/2020 at 10:27 PM, studegary said:

It must be those three foot eight inch (44 inches) holes that do the job 😃. I know that you mean 3/8" (three eights of an inch)

Yeah, I fat-fingered that one...