dual carbs

differentdrummer

17 minutes ago, differentdrummer said:

Has anyone put an aftermarket dual 4 set-up on a 327? It looks like hood clearance would be very iffy.

John

Why would you want to put two 4 bbls on such a small displacement (I know, Studebaker offered it on a 304)?  Perhaps you just want the look.  If you want performance, I suggest one of the new FI systems available (should be easy and plentiful for a SBC).  For your initial statement - I do not know of this being done and it probably would run into an interference issue, particularly with a normal air cleaner.   

EDIT:  I would think that RQA 0048 would be a 1965 model Avanti.  Perhaps your Avanti was not sold/titled/registered until the 1967 model year.

Edited by studegary

Haven't done it, but I would think hood clearance would not be a problem if you use a low 'factory type' two four manifold........I use an aluminum Edelbrock 'Performer' manifold & carb on my '83 Avanti 'everyday driver'..........That manifold is higher than the factory original, and the hood shuts with no problem.

No doubt you'd need to use the shortest air filters you can find though!:)

I would do it for the nostalgia look. Back in my day, one of the first modifications made to a performance cars was to install dual 4's. Until I recently retired from drag racing, I ran a dual 4 tunnel ram on my AMX race car and people always complimented me for staying "old school" even though it probably could have performed as well or better with a modern single 4 set-up.

Nothing wrong with old school. Why not just find the lowest 2X4 manifold you can locate, calculate the max height with carbs and use the old modeling clay method to see if you have clearance. Although something tells me you know that already.

Then there's always a cowl air intake for clearance speaking of old school.

cowl intake.jpg

cowl II.jpg

Edited by Avanti83