In 2014 Studebaker Avanti R5465 sold at auction for $ 13,500. This Avanti was /is unusual because it has a (non-factory) ......?..... engine installation.

1) Big-block Chevy.......2) Jaguar V-12......3) Studebaker R4.....or.....4) Chrysler 383

1 hour ago, r1lark said:

I'll take a stab and say #3, since a Jaguar V12 in an Avanti would be real unusual! :o

Good stab, however that's not the engine!:(

Any other 'stabs' on this?

Just looked on Bob's Resource site, and it says R5465 was a stock R2 in 2011, and there was a picture of a stock-looking R2 engine.  Has the engine been changed since 2011?  Or am I missing something again?

If the engine was changed, my wild guess, based on bass-ackwards reverse psychology, is )4 Chrysler 383.

8 hours ago, VtMike said:

Just looked on Bob's Resource site, and it says R5465 was a stock R2 in 2011, and there was a picture of a stock-looking R2 engine.  Has the engine been changed since 2011?  Or am I missing something again?

If the engine was changed, my wild guess, based on bass-ackwards reverse psychology, is )4 Chrysler 383.

Good research Mike!....The info I have is 'sketchy', but there was apparently an engine change done around the year you mention.....NOT to a Chrysler engine though!:(

Any other 'stabs' here?

2 hours ago, studegary said:

Based on the time frame of the change and the price, I will say Chevrolet.

Chevrolet is incorrect!:(.........ANSWER....Studebaker R4! (I would guess a 'tribute' R4)

Probably not, as the serial number (R5465) would indicate a later 'square light'!