RADIO SWAP FOR 1963 AVANTI

studequest

ANYBODY OUT THERE PUT IN A MODERN BLUE TOOTH HANDS FREE USB RADIO IN THE ORIGINAL RADIO LOCATION

IF YES.. WHAT UNIT DID YOU USE, DID YOU NEED TO CUT THE DASH, HOW DID YOU GET ACCESS TO PULL OUT THE ORIGINAL RAFIO

THANKS

KEITH

Yup...did mine last year. Purchased an AM/FM with bluetooth from RetroSound https://www.retromanufacturing.com  They also offer an upgrade for Sirius/XM. I purchased all new speakers; ran all new wiring, and was able to mount the mic in the trim along the front windshield. Access is thru the speaker grille directly over the radio, and the radio opening itself. Didn't have to cut anything, but being nimble and patient really helps. I also series wired some mini speakers into the front speaker opening, but that's a whole different subject! Feel free to personal message if you have ???s  

IMG_6725.jpeg

IMG_5795.jpeg

IMG_5811.jpeg

The mic cord is routed between the windshield and dash, then does a 90 degree turn up the A pillar trim. It is clipped on the trim between the door opening and the headliner. (sorry, but I don't see a photo rotation function on the Forum toolbar) I used plastic trim pullers to gently lift trim pieces and wedge the wire in place. When you place a call using Bluetooth, the speakers serve as receivers and the mic picks up your voice without any interference from the AC blower. My rear view mirror is dash mounted, so eliminated placement of the mic there.

As far as the USAB port, I purchased a mounting bracket online and installed it under the dash on the passenger side, close to the center console. I did not drill any holes into the dash, nor attempt to route it to either glovebox. Because I link my iPhone to the radio with Bluetooth, I've never used the USAB port. 

IMG_5814.jpeg

Thank you

I am having a little trouble seeing which is the mike.. So Is this a separate unit or do you purchase from the vendor.

So when a call comes in and you have blue tooth paired, it automatically switches, correct?

There are several model names which did you use? Did your USB plug into the back of the unite with an AUX or USB cable?

Thanks a bunch.. Keith

Another alternative is to go too Joe's classic radio (https://www.joesclassiccarradio.com/Resto.html) and have your old radio upgraded.  He will use your current radio face and box, though out the guts and replace with a model AM/FM radio.  You can have blue tooth added as well.  I did this and was very satisfied with the result.  You have the stock look with modern electronics and nobody needs to know....