Supercharger for 63 Avanti R2

63avantigold

24 minutes ago, 63avantigold said:

Wanting to remove dealer installed AC from my R2 and install the correct Supercharger which will bring it back to stock.  Does anyone have a complete unit for sale?

You are wise to buy a complete setup.  Buying it a piece at a time can take forever and cost 2X-3X as much.  

The carburetor and intake are R2 specific.  Do you still have yours?

jack vines

Edited by PackardV8

1 hour ago, 63avantigold said:

I only have what is currently on the vehicle.  What would be the identifier on the carb as to whether it is R1 or R2 specific?  

The quickest "identifier" would be a metal tag riveted to the front of the air horn with the wording.....'ATTENTION, THIS IS A SEALED CARBURETOR'!   (R2)

Edited by mfg
Added R2

26 minutes ago, 63avantigold said:

The tag riveted to carb says this is a sealed carburetor

service only per instructions & specifications in Avanti workshop manual.

GREAT!!:)......Since your intention is to re-supercharge your Studebaker Avanti, you're very fortunate the original R2 carb is still on the engine.....Those carbs are getting hard to find, and EXPENSIVE when you do find one for sale.

The irony here is that all the time your Avanti has been driven with the R2  carb and no supercharger, it really hasn't run as good as it would have with an R1 type carb, as the sealed carb is jetted differently (richer) so it's compatible with the extra volume of air delivered from the blower......Not to mention constantly wasting fuel!:o

PS.....You may also want to check that the correct supercharger heads are still on the engine (they probably are)..... and also look for a metal 'ribbon' type tag fastened to the base of the distributor to confirm you still have the correct R2 type distributor.

Edited by mfg

Definitely!  There is a hard line coming into the front of the carb that been twisted at least two times and I am sure its functionality has also been compromised.  I will check the other things today.  I tried to open the trunk this AM and the latch feels locked up. That is a new problem! Is there a trunk release that can be reached through the cabin deck entrance?  Just curious.  I didn't need in the trunk but now that it won't open it's bugging me.  

I found the answer in my workshop manual ..... finally! Thanks for posting.  This is my first Studebaker and I bought it because I have wanted one since I was fourteen years old.  It is a nice car and I am determined to bring it back to its original configuration.  Thanks again!

I have several superchargers and some of the parts. All will need attention, parts are things like top hat, tensioner, hoses. So if you can't score a complete set-up, I can help some. I might be interested some of the A/C parts, any/all except for the compressor and bracket, as I am planning to add A/C to an R/2 using a Sanden-style unit. If interested, PM, please.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you put together the complete supercharger parts and consider a swap for the complete AC off of mine.  I will photograph what I can and send them to you. I will also need the console facia that would have come with the original R2.  I know it is a long shot but it never hurts to ask.  Yes it did run rough and didn't start as easily as it should.  

Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 63avantigold said:

I did find the tag on the bottom of the distributer it says Prestolite and what I could make of the # was RS40... on the intake is RS2389 and 554641 with a 4 above it.  Maybe someone can decipher the #s for me.

If the "RS2389" is stamped into the top front of the block and not "on the intake" it would indicate a 1963 model year R2 engine block. 

On 8/3/2020 at 7:45 PM, 63avantigold said:

I did find the tag on the bottom of the distributer it says Prestolite and what I could make of the # was RS40... on the intake is RS2389 and 554641 with a 4 above it.  Maybe someone can decipher the #s for me.

The tag fastened to the distributor base should read #1557347, which is the Stude part number for an R2 distributor.......The difference between an Avanti  R1 and  R2 distributor lies in their respective advance curves.

3 hours ago, mfg said:

The tag fastened to the distributor base should read #1557347, which is the Stude part number for an R2 distributor.......The difference between an Avanti  R1 and  R2 distributor lies in their respective advance curves.

There is no Studebaker part number on the tag, only the Prestolite model number.

IBS-4012A     R2

IBS-4012        R1

1 minute ago, regnalbob said:

There is no Studebaker part number on the tag, only the Prestolite model number.

IBS-4012A     R2

IBS-4012        R1

Yes, I agree with your research on this...Thanks!:)  (and feel free to chime in more often!)

I bought this car not even knowing what an R1 or r2 stood for. It was advertised as a non supercharged car and It seemed a good car and I was not disappointed when I got it.  I didn't have any historical data on the car but it had Supercharged emblems on it which sparked my curiosity.  To make a long story short it was originally an R2 and was converted with AC early in its life.  what I have discovered so far makes me wonder how it ever ran.  Where and how the square headlights came about is probably never going to be answered.  I am on the journey of righting some wrongs that have occurred so bear with me.  I think at this point if I can find a complete correct Supercharger and all that goes with it, it will probably be easier to install than correctly converting the R2 to R1 as nothing has been correctly swapped at this point.  Thank you all for your patience and understanding!

• 3 weeks later...