80 Avanti II

M&M

I was hoping that someone could suggest where to buy a steering dampener for my 80 Avanti. Are these available at any parts store?

I purchased my car about 1 1/2 yrs ago from Santa Barbara and hauled it in to my place in Idaho. I have installed a 383 stroker in it , rebuilt the auto trans and have the engine compartment and all jambs painted for a proper color change from white to Candy Apple red. The car has 49,000 actual. I have redone the seats in leather and am currently replacing other leather in the car that got cooked from the California heat. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you think you need a steering dampener, you have other issues.  The Avanti steering is an antiquated king pin set-up that has an unusual bellcrank design, but it will track well if it is in good condition and is properly adjusted.  You need a shop manual and a knowledgeable mechanic.  If you can share more detailed information about your problem here on the forum, there may be some folks who can get you started in the right direction.  

Maybe I am using the wrong name for what I need? The ram that sits just below the crankshaft engine pulley that sits horizontal and is hooked to the steering. My old engine pulley was rubbing on this when the car was turned sharply and it is leaking fluid. With my new 383 stroker engine I have about 1/2” clearance.   What is this Power steering ram called .

6 hours ago, M&M said:

Maybe I am using the wrong name for what I need? The ram that sits just below the crankshaft engine pulley that sits horizontal and is hooked to the steering. My old engine pulley was rubbing on this when the car was turned sharply and it is leaking fluid. With my new 383 stroker engine I have about 1/2” clearance.   What is this Power steering ram called .

It's a hydraulic ram that provides "assist", as opposed to modern power steering units. I replaced mine with a rebuilt ram, then had to replace the steering pump as it wasn't delivering the kind of pressure needed to adequately move the ram. Then one of the high pressure hoses that powers the ram rubbed against a frame rail and sprung a leak, spewing fluid all over the hot exhaust pipe. The routing of those hoses is critical as they move quite a bit while turning the steering wheel. As Jim78 mentioned, the steering system used by Studebaker and found on early Avanti II's is an antiquated design. It works, but it aint like a modern system. 

IMG_3527.jpeg

IMG_3535.jpeg

Edited by Desert Driver

Thanks so much Avanti83 and Desert Driver. You guys are really helpful. I had a person tell me the wrong name for the power steering ram. I will either find someone to rebuild it with new seals etc or buy one from one of our suppliers. 

On 7/5/2020 at 10:06 PM, M&M said:

Thanks so much Avanti83 and Desert Driver. You guys are really helpful. I had a person tell me the wrong name for the power steering ram. I will either find someone to rebuild it with new seals etc or buy one from one of our suppliers. 

Seal kits for these rams are also available for short money.....and using a few basic tools aren't difficult to install!:)