hot tunnel while driving

Guest tim sheard

Guest tim sheard

I just purchased a 1969 avanti with the 3-speed automatic. I found after driving on the highway the tunnel with the shift lever gets quite hot. The coins in the tray between the seats are hot to the touch. I understand the transmission was recently inspected, cleaned and serviced. Is this an expected occurrance?

thank you, it's great to be a member.

tim sheard

<_<

I can't say it is or isn't normal, but the '63 R1 I used to own did pretty much the same.  The shifter would get pretty hot.  I tend to think it's the nature of the beasts.

I've driven my 84 Touring Coupe coast to coast and it never gets more than slightly warm.

cbk RQB-3921

the newer Avantis are generally cooler running as to the amount of heat that comes into the interior and especially the shifter.

Just about all Studebaker Avantis, and Avatni II's through at least 1969 or the early 1970s, are like this.

Although your 1969 model should have cooling ducts that bring fresh air in from inside the fresh air vents in front of the windshield, and duct the cooler air over the bellhousing and through the transmission tunnel.

You might want to check and make sure these ducts are not missing or torn, or not aiming the cooler air properly into the transmission tunnel.

Lew

Guest tim sheard
the newer Avantis are generally cooler running as to the amount of heat that comes into the interior and especially the shifter.

Just about all Studebaker Avantis, and Avatni II's through at least 1969 or the early 1970s, are like this.

Although your 1969 model should have cooling ducts that bring fresh air in from inside the fresh air vents in front of the windshield, and duct the cooler air over the bellhousing and through the transmission tunnel. 

You might want to check and make sure these ducts are not missing or torn, or not aiming the cooler air properly into the transmission tunnel.

Lew

Guest tim sheard

Lew