Starting problem

greg

My 1963 was running just fine. Went to start it today and it will not fire. It turns over just fine, new battery. It sounds like it's not getting spark. When I try to start and then turn key off it fires, only when I stop turning it over. Help

I had that exact sounding problem with a '67 Dodge Charger I once owned. I can't remember for sure the problem but it was the wiring between the coil and the ignition switch. You have a separate line for start and run...begin there. Maybe the ballast resistor is involved...just not up on the wiring to say whether it is or not.

Thanks, I ran a 'hot' wire to coil and did not solve problem. I was wondering about that ballast resistor, not sure how to check it. Can you check that with a meter for resistance? Greg

Well I replaced the coil and the resistor, the starter switch is good. I'm still not getting spark. I replaced the points with electronic when it was rebuilt, but it was running fine with it. What else could it be. Do I need the resistor with the electronic dist? I'm using the high performance MSD coil. It fires once when I turn the key to off position. HELP!

Try checking with MSD. You may not even need the ballast resistor anymore. Just having it now could be the problem. MSD must have a tech line or frequently asked questions function that addresses such issues.

A spark is generated when the current to the coil in interrupted whether by a set of points or an electronic ignition. I f you get a momentary spark when the ignition is switched off it is a good indication that the Electronic ignition isn't working. A common problem is a short in the distributer causing a constant current flow through the coil when the ignition is on. Make certain that the wire from the distributer side of the coil isn't shorted somewhere particularly around the breaker plate in the distributer.

Charlie RQB3921

Edited by Charlie Kile

GOT IT! Running great. It was the electronic ignition sending unit 'Mallory'. Lots of discussion on how to wire it. I have it wired thru the resistor putting 9Volts to coil ( no 12V at any time). Some said I would need 12V to coil to start but it starts just fine with 9V. Fellow at Loppers said not to put 12V thru the sender it will eventually burn out. (and it did). THANKS GUYS for the help, this is a great forum. Greg