Avanti VIN!

mfg

A seventeen character 'VIN' number was first used on Avanti automobiles in model year.......?........

1) 1978........2) 1979......3) 1980.....or......4) 1981

21 hours ago, mfg said:

A seventeen character 'VIN' number was first used on Avanti automobiles in model year.......?........

1) 1978........2) 1979......3) 1980.....or......4) 1981

21 hours ago, arkus said:

18 hours ago, mfg said:

Sorry arkus....1981 is not correct.:(

Any other thoughts on this one?

arkus is correct.

The 17 character vin became mandatory starting with the 1981 model year.

1 hour ago, regnalbob said:

arkus is correct.

The 17 character vin became mandatory starting with the 1981 model year.

Sorry Bob:(, we have to give this one to r1lark.....Evidence indicates there was at least one (probably more) 1980 Avanti ll that left the factory with the 17 character VIN number in addition to the sequential 'RQB' number.

In a way, I believe that they are both correct in different ways.  The 17 character VIN became mandatory by the Federal government for the 1981 model year.  There may have been one or more 1980 Avantis that had a 17 digit VIN.  Do you have the numbers of the 1980 Avantis in question and when were they sold new?  

1 minute ago, studegary said:

In a way, I believe that they are both correct in different ways.  The 17 character VIN became mandatory by the Federal government for the 1981 model year.  There may have been one or more 1980 Avantis that had a 17 digit VIN.  Do you have the numbers of the 1980 Avantis in question and when were they sold new?  

Yes, however, the particular Avanti ll I have in mind is (I believe) in the process of being sold...so I'd rather not 'talk numbers' right now.;)