63 Factory AC operation

hillsidehemi

Hello, I am just getting a long time dormant Avanti on the road.  One of the last things is the factory AC.  I have not looked into it much yet but really just want to know how it works.  Right now nothing happens with what I've tried.  Turning the knob with, off, low, and high, will that start the fans and compressor or is there some other combination of the heater controls that have to be activated?  I have a service manual but nothing at all about the AC system, is there an additional manual for the AC?  Probably need to just start looking for a fuse somewhere but wanted to know if it was as simple as turning the knob?  Is the AC totally separate from the heat system with its own fans or does it share?  Thanks

The original factory AC system in an Avanti; is a stand alone.  Not connected to the heating or ventilation system.  There ore 2 knobs on the AC face plate.  The left one controls the temperature temperature and the left turns on both the AC fan motor speed  and engages the AC compressor clutch.  If I recall correctly mine has a fuse hanging someplace; (I forget where) not in the fuse block. Yours might be different as mine is a factory system installed after the car was made.

Ron

Rons description agrees with the set up in my 63. A couple of things I might add. The fuse for mine is tucked up on the drivers side of the console where it meets the dash and the thermostat (left knob) also cycles the compressor clutch to adjust temperature while the fan runs continuously.    John C.