brake booster

Pmaenner

Hi Everyone,

I had a quick question, it looks like I need to replace my brake booster.  By any chance is there an off the shelf type that would work?  I thought I saw something about a certain model sold at NAPA, but couldn't remember where I read that.  Studebaker international has them, just wondering if I could pick up something local to get back on the road quicker.  This would be for the 1964 avanti, R1.  Thanks and stay safe out there!

-Pete

pull the booster and discover the number on the back side. you can then cross reference. i got one from walmart at much less than usual aftermarket sources.

no, and it was for a '66. might be the same, but we're talking avanti here, so who knows. (as you'll find out if you don't already know)

Hey Guys,

thanks for the info, that's the webpage I saw about the NAPA part.  Unfortunately, NAPA doesn't carry it anymore.  I pulled the old booster, but I don't see any number on the back to cross reference anything.  I'll call around a few more places, but it looks like I'll have to go with studebaker international and be patient!  Dang, just as soon as the weather turns nice and I get a few days off, this happens!  😞

I like the new setup gunslinger did, that may be in store for me down the road.

-Pete

After chatting around with some manufacturers, any brake booster that would work with the avanti is now obsolete and no longer made.  Some boosters do have a return and rebuild, but might as well just have the original rebuilt instead of buying something different.

I like the setup that gunslinger did, I'm just debating if I want to take the avanti off the road and completely redo all the brakes, do that turner kit which seems pretty nice.  As far as rebuilds,  Studebaker international seems to have the best price.  I'm leaning to just getting it rebuilt and getting it back on the road as soon as possible.  Save the brakes for a winter project.  Shouldn't be too tough a job, just that I don't have much time right now and want to take advantage of the nice weather for road trips.

Spoke with Autozone, Advanced auto parts, pep-boys, walmart, NAPA, and also directly with Cardone (spoke with customer service and also spoke with one of their engineers) , they don't offer the part nor do they offer a rebuild service for the 54-73603.  Closest thing they offer is a rebuild service on the 54-73604, which would require a little modification to work.  I ordered one from Dave Thibeault this morning.  

I'm thinking for a winter project, I'm gonna do the turner kit and mimic the setup gunslinger did.

-Pete