Early Avantis!

mfg

While on the subject of the prototype (EX) Studebaker Avantis,.....How many of them were there?   (Speaking of completed cars, not body shells or proto. chassis)

1) Three......2) Four......3) Five.....or.....4) Six

20 minutes ago, mfg said:

While on the subject of the prototype (EX) Studebaker Avantis,.....How many of them were there?   (Speaking of completed cars, not body shells or proto. chassis)

1) Three......2) Four......3) Five.....or.....4) Six

4) Six

1 minute ago, studegary said:

EX 2942, -43, -44,- -45, -46, -47.  That makes six.  Only four of these were later renumbered.  

Indeed that does add up to six...however, we need more info on proto Avanti 'Ex 2943'....as it may have never been completed.

Does anyone out there in Avantiland have more info on this Avanti?:huh:

15 minutes ago, mfg said:

Indeed that does add up to six...however, we need more info on proto Avanti 'Ex 2943'....as it may have never been completed.

Does anyone out there in Avantiland have more info on this Avanti?:huh:

My fading pencil notes say that it became 1026.

24 minutes ago, studegary said:

My fading pencil notes say that it became 1026.

There is an R1 powered 63R 1026 listed in the AOAI Roster  however, that number isn't even close to the serial numbers assigned to all the other prototype Avantis.

I believe that the jury is still 'out' on this trivia question!:o

You are ALL WRONG!!   There were 10 prototype cars built, all with EX serial numbers.  One (EX2943) was later destroyed by fire.  They were all built between January 18 and April 20, 1962. They all have an EX serial number, a prototype number, and FOUR EX cars  received a final assigned serial number (two for the New York auto show and two for the engineering and PR). 

See the attached image from John Hull's prototype book distributed at the 2018 AOAI national meet in Tacoma, Washington.

Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 12.53.39 PM.png

Great info Lew!....And the INTENT of my original trivia question wasn't clearly explained.......( Sorry!:o).........I SHOULD have stated............

'How many prototype (EX) Studebaker Avantis were later re- assigned new serial numbers'?:)

ANSWER....#2...Four

Edited by mfg