Last "R" Type!

mfg

42 minutes ago, mfg said:

The last production Studebaker Avanti assembled was R5643 because.............?..............

it was December 31, 1963.  

.......................the rest of the Studebaker Avantis after R5643 were previously assembled engineering prototypes that were updated to '64 specs and assigned serial numbers up thru R5653 (I think 5653 is right.......:unsure:).

2 hours ago, r1lark said:

.......................the rest of the Studebaker Avantis after R5643 were previously assembled engineering prototypes that were updated to '64 specs and assigned serial numbers up thru R5653 (I think 5653 is right.......:unsure:).

Sorry, the re-serialed Studebaker Avanti engineering prototypes which you mention, (starting with #R5650), are irrelevant to this trivia question.:(

This question, phrased another way, asks why Studebaker stopped making production Avantis at R5643?.......In other words, why wasn't a production R5644 built?:huh:

2 hours ago, r1lark said:

The last production Studebaker Avanti assembled was R5643 because.............Studebaker shut down production.

•  

No Paul, you're still incorrect:(.......The last production Studebaker Avanti was/is R5643 because that was the last Avanti for which Studebaker had a legitimate customer order. (as of 12/11/63)

"With regards to the Avanti, that plant will, therefore, be closed and production will be discontinued as soon as we have assembled the cars for which we now have orders"......L. E. Minkel

In other words, if Studebaker Corp. had one more 'solid' Avanti customer order as of 12/11/63, an "R5644" would have indeed been built!......Ed:)

Edited by mfg

55 minutes ago, r1lark said:

Gosh Ed, you sound just like my wife :o :D !

She must be a very intelligent, patient woman!:).... (and don't forget to wash the dishes and take the dog for a walk!;))