2 Avanti Prototypes

Stormy

The four door body is a Mike Kelly prototype for the eventual 1990 four door Avanti Sedan.....The 'round light' body is (I think) an early Studebaker Avanti body which was used for development purposes.

Edited by mfg

I don't often add too these posts but if I have a decade or so less years on me I'd seriously consider that 4 door quad headlight car as a candidate for an S-10 chassis setup and drive the hell out of it. 

On 5/23/2020 at 9:54 AM, mfg said:

The four door body is a Mike Kelly prototype for the eventual 1990 four door Avanti Sedan.....The 'round light' body is (I think) an early Studebaker Avanti body which was used for development purposes.

The four door is the Studebaker prototype for the 1965  passenger car.

Edited by regnalbob

7 hours ago, regnalbob said:

The four door is the Studebaker prototype for the 1965  passenger car.

And you are CORRECT!.....Well done!:)

Edited by mfg
Added "Well done!"

On 5/24/2020 at 3:22 PM, regnalbob said:

930274928_1965Avanti4door.jpeg.0c477e3e1a0235e2fd1716d7707b68bc.jpeg

This prototype body was on display for awhile at the Studebaker National Museum, before going to Virgil Marple's farm.  It was sold today in the estate auction.

12 hours ago, mfg said:

Quad headlights fitted to an Avanti nose panel just doesn't 'work' for me!:(

You just have to look at it as 1963, not 2020.

The Avanti was initially supposed to have quad headlights but it was changed to duals for cost reasons.  If it had been introduced with quads we wouldn't know the difference to discuss it.

On 5/31/2020 at 7:09 PM, Gunslinger said:

The Avanti was initially supposed to have quad headlights but it was changed to duals for cost reasons.  If it had been introduced with quads we wouldn't know the difference to discuss it.

I disagree!:o..... To me, considering both nose panel designs, the frontal appearance of a 1963 Studebaker Avanti looks MUCH better 'as built'.

(In other words, thank God they didn't have the $$$$ to go with the 'quad' headlights!:D)

Edited by mfg