ADDING POWER STEERING TO A 1963 4 SPEED R2

studequest

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS?

WHAT PARTS ARE REQUIRED AND SOURCE PLEASE (EXCLUDE MEYRS)

GUESTIMATED LABOR TIME?

OTHER SUGGESTIONS... I KNOW FOLKS HAVE DONE ELECTRIC CONVERSIONS

WHAT IS INVOLVED IN THAT RE PARTS AND COST?

THANKS

KEITH

You would need pump and brackets with bolts, ram and bracket, P.S. bellcrank, P.S crank pulley, control assembly with reach rod and pitman arm as well as hoses and a couple of clamps to keep the hoses tidy.

IIRC, the steering gear ratio is different - you may want to change out steering box.

I may have a complete set of spares. I will check later this morning. 

I would guess about 8-10 hours to install. Maybe a little more if you change the steering gear.

I don't have any idea on electric conversion. I am sure someone will chime in on that.

I)f I R)ecall C)orrectly.

I have almost all the parts. I could not find the special water manifold bolts and the auxiliary bracket that attaches the pump to the bolt in the exhaust manifold. I also could not find the clamps that attach to the frame to keep the hoses tidy. Those pieces are likely somewhere safe so I would not lose them. The bolts are available from Studebaker International for about $20 each. Thet are showing the exhaust maniford bracket for $26. They may have the clamps as well.

You should get new hoses and a belt. For little more than the cost of the hoses, about $240, Studebaker International has a kit with the hoses plus rebuild kits for the pump,  ram, and control.

I don't know if you plan on doing the work yourself, but you will need to remove and replace the crankshaft dampener to install the pulley. There is a special tool for that. The rest of the installation is fairly straight forward.

Rebuilding the pump can be difficult. Studebaker International has a rebuilt for $218 plus exchange.

Also, some have commented that they could not get the control unit to stop leaking after rebuild. 

If you are interested in these parts let me know.

i am going to test drive the car.  It does not have PS.  If I buy it I am setting up to add it and want some back up

Can you send your email and phone # so I can contact you

Keith

My mistake, you do not need to remove dampener. You do need to remove the big crank pulley.

I would guess that if you cannot do the work yourself, plan on at least $2,000 for parts and labor depending on your local labor rate.

You can contact me via forum. That way, we are not publicly sharing personal information.

The last non-power steering equipped Studebaker Avanti I drove surprised me in that the manual steering felt very 'light'!....Granted, there were more steering turns 'lock-to-lock' due to the more favorable (slower) steering ratio...but frankly, unless you're looking for a faster ratio (turning) ability, I'd re-consider adding the complication of power steering to your Stude Avanti...(Just a thought!:))

29 minutes ago, mfg said:

The last non-power steering equipped Studebaker Avanti I drove surprised me in that the manual steering felt very 'light'!....Granted, there were more steering turns 'lock-to-lock' due to the more favorable (slower) steering ratio...but frankly, unless you're looking for a faster ratio (turning) ability, I'd re-consider adding the complication of power steering to your Stude Avanti...(Just a thought!:))

My experience with driving a non-ps Studebaker Avanti was different.  I found it to be nice on the road, but terrible in slow speed maneuvering.  

GARY:

I went and drove the car in question without power steering.  YOU ARE CORRECT.. IT WAS VERY NIMBLE

In fact, I did not realize it was without the power unit.  Were I to acquire this car, I would not do anything to it!

Thanks...

On 5/24/2020 at 7:07 AM, mfg said:

Agree.  It all depends on the tire/wheel combination and the condition of the front suspension.  If all is in like-new original condition, they steer easily.  After sixty years of wear and someone installing wider wheels and radial tires, it can be a pig to steer.

jack vines

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 7:07 AM, mfg said:

+1 . My 63 did not have PS and it was fine for me.  Yes, it was harder to steer when parking, however, the added road feel while driving I really liked. FWIW, I heard that only about 5% of Avantis did not have PS.