Wheel info needed

theGman

Isn't the AII bolt pattern a small Ford pattern? Does anyone know the stock wheel size and what can fit in the wheelwells?

What about 17" wheels? Anyone know where I can find data on what fits in this size?

Questions coming out all over,

Thanks,

Paul

Isn't the AII bolt pattern a small Ford pattern?  Does anyone know the stock wheel size and what can fit in the wheelwells?

What about 17" wheels?  Anyone know where I can find data on what fits in this size?

Questions coming out all over,

Thanks,

Paul

Can't give you a definitive answer, but here's a few of my thoughts.

Avanti II (Prior to the Monte Carlo chassis in the mid-80s) uses the stock Ford 15" pattern for early 70's big-block Shelby Mustangs and full-size Fords; the Magnum 500 wheels used on Avanti II's were 15x6, I believe... unfortunately I'm not at home to go measure mine, it's possible they may have been 15x7, but 15x7 should fit, and I'm pretty certain 15x8 would be too wide.

The fit of the front wheels is particularly tight, and I think 7" may be the widest rim that will fit there; 195/75-15 tires fit without rubbing anything, 205/75-15 may or may not, and 215/70-15 may or may not; larger/wider sizes likely won't. Front tires are prone to hit the wheel opening near the upper forward section with the tread while turning and hitting a bump (like entering a driveway), and rub the frame at the rear inside of the front tires during hard turns.

Can't tell you for certain what/whether 17" wheels will fit, but I suspect you could find some combination that will. Here is a website where you can play with combinations to compare dimensions:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/tools/tirecalc.html

But, not every tire has the exact dimensions as others in the same size, and that can matter when tolerances are close.