Help re AC on 89 convertible

ken1007

Took the 89 to get the AC charged. Shop would not recharge in the absence of the AC label normally on cars. Label had been removed for repaint and not replaced. Told them it should be the same equipment as 89 caprice, but they would not budge. Could someone photographic label or otherwise solve problem? Have no idea if these labels are even available from GM supply source. Ken, Deltaville, Va

Try LateGreatChevy.com, Ecklers.com, Year One, Corvette Central or other Corvette and other GM restoration suppliers. They usually carry a full array of decals for restorations.

Guest dapy

I think my 1989 convert needs 'charging' as well. Where do I look for the qualifying label on/in the car. Gunny, good to have a source. What do we ask for?

My '89 doesn't have the label either, but my local chevy dealer said they could tell by the recharge connectors that it had never benn converted from r12. The r12 connectors are screw on and look like a tire valve. the r134a connectors are a snap on style. I was afraid to ask the cost of converting.

Check into an AC Delco drier, the ones I have used come with new stickers in the box that have the charge on them. I wouldn't go to the expense of changing components, just get a FJC R134a conversion kit and use R134a in the R12 system. Then if and when you have a problem spend the money on R134a components. I have been using R134a in my 1993 Mercury for 7 years now with no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I converted my 89 convertible to R134a yrs ago. I just changed the connectors on the high and low sides. I had not probs for yrs til my compressor failed. I do not attribute the compressor failure to the use of R134a. The drawback with R134a if you are not aware is that it does not cool the car as well as R12 at low speeds and long idle times.

Guest dapy

My R12 system was recharged and it reduced the air to 60 degrees with 90 degree outside air temp. They now tell me that there is a 'pressure switch' under the passenger side dash that may need attention. (Have to take down the carpet cover to get to it.) Has something to do with the compressor cycling. Sure gets complicated...

Michael - R134a operates at higher pressures then R12 and the compressors are different. Probably did have something to do with the compressor failure.

Jim