DBW

DBW

There were 56 1969 model Avantis built.  What is the Serial Number of the car in question?  Many Avantis are registered/titled with the incorrect year.  I have a note that 1969 Avanti RQA 0298 was built with a 350.  The first 1969 Avanti is RQA 0258.   

On 5/17/2020 at 5:12 AM, Jim78 said:

According to John Hull's research, cars sold as 1969 models ranged from RQA-0258 to RQA-0313. 

My Avanti is titled as a 1969 with the vin of RQA-375.  My original build sheet confirms this number, plus a shipment date of  July 7, 1969 to Tele General Corporation.  Does anyone know the cut off date for the 1969 production?

1 hour ago, TED DIMON said:

To me, RQA 375 is well within the 1970 model year.  Does your original build sheet both give this S/N and a model year of 1969?    

I don't know whether it's been established that Avanti Motors did their model years the same as the rest of the industry or by calendar year...I suspect whichever was most convenient at any particular time.  It as also not unknown for Avanti Motors to retitle an unsold car from one year to the next for sales purposes.  The '70 I owned had a build date in September 1970 which could be taken as a 1971 model year by normal industry standards but was titled as a '70.  

Since Avanti Motors had no substantive annual model year changes until much later they seem to have done what was to their advantage at the time.

15 hours ago, studegary said:

To me, RQA 375 is well within the 1970 model year.  Does your original build sheet both give this S/N and a model year of 1969?    

The build sheet was written on June 5, 1969.  The "Line No." is 375.  The Serial  No. is RQ-A 0375 (note the different positioning of the hyphen!).  The date shipped is July 7, 1969. 

I can't find a model year designation anywhere on the build sheet.  See below. The assembly time of 32 days all took place well before the traditional model year change in September/October for that era.  Was this a normal assembly duration time back in 1969?  Or is it possible that this was a rush job that was inserted into the schedule on June 5th?   Hence the 1969 designation!

AVANTI BUILD SHEET.jpg

Thank you for the information.  That is a nice Avanti!  To me, it just adds to the mystery of Avantis.  Perhaps, someone like John Hull can shed more light on it.  

It's interesting that the build sheet specified the Studebaker "S" badging on the doors and rear seat.  Did they actually get installed ?  

I wonder what "special inside locks" would be. 

6 hours ago, Jim78 said:

It's interesting that the build sheet specified the Studebaker "S" badging on the doors and rear seat.  Did they actually get installed ?  Yes, they are still on the original interior that is in remarkable shape for being as old as it is.

I wonder what "special inside locks" would be. I haven't found anything special about the locks, so apparently they didn't make it!

22 hours ago, WayneC said:

Trunk key??? Must mean glovebox key, I guess. I am missing the glove box key.  Does anyone know where I can take the key # from the build sheet and get one made?

An old line locksmith may have blanks for the keys...and I repeat...may.  Try Studebaker International, Myer's Studebaker or Nostalgic Motors...they may well have the correct key blanks.

10 hours ago, Jim78 said:

It's interesting that the build sheet specified the Studebaker "S" badging on the doors and rear seat.  Did they actually get installed ?  

It be interesting to see the agreement between Studebaker and Avanti Motors regarding the use of Studebaker badging on the Avanti II. I recall reading Studebaker didn't want the public to think they were making Avantis after the South Bend shutdown. The early Avanti II's made by Newman-Altman didn't have the Lazy S, but as time went on, you'd see it on the hood gun sight; the door panels; and between the rear seats. On my '71, where the rear seat medallion would go is a leather covered plastic plug. Maybe after Hamilton was closed, Studebaker didn't care anymore?

3 hours ago, TED DIMON said:

Take the glovebox door to a good locksmith. They'll make you a key or change the tumblers to a new key, whatever they think is best. You could just pull the lock also, whatever you think is easier.

On 5/20/2020 at 1:50 PM, studegary said:

Thank you for the information.  That is a nice Avanti!  To me, it just adds to the mystery of Avantis.  Perhaps, someone like John Hull can shed more light on it.  

The scenario could have been ....   They were going to 350's anyway, as the 327's were going away.   Probably were using up the stocked 327's in normal production and made a 350 optional to the buyer at the time.   The one thing that was a real change then, was that they were changing the exhaust from 2.25" down to 2" and getting away from the 2.5" dump Corvette manifold.  Installing and securing a 2.25" exhaust through that frame must have been fairly time consuming and work intensive  (IMO). 

19 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

An old line locksmith may have blanks for the keys...and I repeat...may.  Try Studebaker International, Myer's Studebaker or Nostalgic Motors...they may well have the correct key blanks.

I already have the blanks.  I am looking for someone that knows the cutting pattern for key #S1405 .  This is assuming that the original lock is in the console glove box.

17 hours ago, Desert Driver said:

It be interesting to see the agreement between Studebaker and Avanti Motors regarding the use of Studebaker badging on the Avanti II. I recall reading Studebaker didn't want the public to think they were making Avantis after the South Bend shutdown. The early Avanti II's made by Newman-Altman didn't have the Lazy S, but as time went on, you'd see it on the hood gun sight; the door panels; and between the rear seats. On my '71, where the rear seat medallion would go is a leather covered plastic plug. Maybe after Hamilton was closed, Studebaker didn't care anymore?

My understanding is that Newman-Altman bought the entire production parts inventory for the Avanti, "lock-stock-and barrel".  That probably included the rights to use the S badging as well.

4 hours ago, TED DIMON said:

When I first purchased the '70 I owned I purchased a couple of key blanks...I forget who from...and a local locksmith and friend carefully took the locks apart and keys the blanks from scratch.  If we weren't friends since high school I'm not sure he would have done that as it took him a while to do it without ruining everything as the locks weren't made to be taken apart.  

You might look into simply buying a new glovebox lock with keys from one of the Avanti vendors. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 1:04 PM, TED DIMON said:

AVANTI BUILD SHEET.jpg

I find these PO's for the Studebaker Avantis and the later Avanti ll's quite interesting!.....We're very lucky they're available for our cars!:)

3 hours ago, mfg said:

I find these PO's for the Studebaker Avantis and the later Avanti ll's quite interesting!.....We're very lucky they're available for our cars!:)

Based on the condition and appearance of my production order, I am pretty sure it is the original!