Suspension Upgrades "81

theGman

I had 2 used Avantis at different times in the 80's and now have found an '81 which I hope to have in my possession within 3 weeks or so...anyway, as any good former Avanti owner would do, I am trying to catch up on upgrades, etc. to the Altman era Avantis which have come about since the '80s. Basically I haven't been to "Avanti school" since then.

One way for me to do this was to list some modifications found on other Avantis. I noticed a suspension upgrade to the 84-86 front and rear sway bars. What about this? Is this a good, easy upgrade to thicker bars, which I suspect? Where can I get them?

Also, can someone pass along any good sites which might list some of these upgrades, or

any others I should consider?

Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate in advance any reponses. Any good site names would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
I had 2 used Avantis at different times in the 80's and now have found an '81 which I hope to have in my possession within 3 weeks or so...anyway, as any good former Avanti owner would do, I am trying to catch up on upgrades, etc. to the Altman era Avantis which have come about since the '80s.  Basically I haven't been to "Avanti school" since then.

One way for me to do this was to list some modifications found on other Avantis.  I noticed a suspension upgrade to the 84-86 front and rear sway bars.  What about this?  Is this a good, easy upgrade to thicker bars, which I suspect?  Where can I get them?

Also, can someone pass along any good sites which might list some of these upgrades, or

any others I should consider?

Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate in advance any reponses.  Any good site names would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul: The bigger sway bars which I think are 1 inch front and 3 quarters inch rear are a big improvement. You can get them from Nostalgic Motors or Studebaker International. My 84 Touring Coupe has them with bigger Camaro brakes and wider rims and I am running 215/70/15 tires with no problem. I think Dave Walton at Tire Rack in South Bend could help you on the 16 or 17 inch rims. Also if you go on avanti@yahoogroups.com there are some guys on there that are quite knowledgeable on what you have in mind.

Max