medivacman

G L Davis

Been awhile since I have been on computer due to illness. A lot has changed it seems and having a bit of a hard time working my way around all this new and different things so bear with me. Thanks.Just starting to get back working on my 84 Avanti and just trying to get some help from all you experts out their. Where do I start working on this car to get it back on the road. It has been parked for awhile naturally. My oldest grand son had been doing some work on it but he is no longer with us so I need to try and get things back in order as he was in the process of removing the engine from all of the computer controls.Where do I go from here and what parts will I need and where is the best places to get them. I want to continue where he left off If I can. I don't want to go back and start over.I want to try and keep going forward. Any help in this matter would truly be appreciated. Thanks.

Several thoughts but first welcome back.

Initially see if you can get it running. Fresh gas, you can drain the tank by removing the pipe plug from the tee in the gas line under the passengers seat. Then pull the plugs, clean them and before you put them back, see if the engine will turn over with the starter after you have added a small amount of Marvel mystery oil to the cylinders. If so, replace the plugs, hook up a timing light and see if you have spark. If you do, add a few gallons of fresh gas to the tank and try to start the engine. If it runs, then how well? If pretty good than check the brakes and emergency brake, if they are good let it warm up and then stop, change the oil and antifreeze.

Now it should be close to driveable. If you can safely take it out then do so and see where you are.

Once you have done this or the engine is frozen/won't run or the brakes are bad get back and we'll help you spend your money on alternatives.

The comment; "...in the process of removing the engine from all of the computer controls..." bothers me.   The engine may not run depending on what has been removed.  Do you have the removed parts?  Can you describe what has been removed?  

4 hours ago, studegary said:

The comment; "...in the process of removing the engine from all of the computer controls..." bothers me.   The engine may not run depending on what has been removed.  Do you have the removed parts?  Can you describe what has been removed?  

Good question Gary, I assumed he hadn't touched the computer setup yet. If he has, at a minimum, it will probably need a new carb and distributor.