Automatic gear shift

A83

Is there supposed to be a rubber piece at the base of the automatic shifter to act as a dust cover similar to the piece surrounding the base of the hand brake? 

Thanks

A83

Thanks for the picture.  I took mine apart but did not see any way to get the chrome base next to the boot off without taking the shift linkage apart.  Is there any easy way?  Plus it looks like the boot  is a dust cover for all of the linkage and transmission underneath. 

I would have thought there would have been a thin piece of rubber like there is for the brake handle. 

A83

16 hours ago, A83 said:

Thanks for the picture.  I took mine apart but did not see any way to get the chrome base next to the boot off without taking the shift linkage apart.  Is there any easy way?  Plus it looks like the boot  is a dust cover for all of the linkage and transmission underneath.

I would have thought there would have been a thin piece of rubber like there is for the brake handle. 

IIRC, the chrome bezel can be easily removed from the top after  unscrewing the ball from the shifter.  The issue with using a seal like the handbrake would be the indicator light socket which also moves with the shifter. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks , I took it apart again and it looks like the boot is inverted sitting be!ow the the linkage and it looks like the boot site below the console mounting plate so I think I have one.  I would have thought there would still have been a small rubber piece right below the gear shift lever itself. 

Thank you , now I know I have the boot.

Regards A83