63 Seat Cushion

Paul K.

63 R1 I sold a few years ago came with this seat pad which to me looked like an original and not aftermarket. Its vinyl was the same as the interior seats which were positively original. Curious if  anyone had seen one of these before? If factory or dealer option, I assume is was designed for the thin seats before the thicker seats were introduced. Last pic is how I found it when I purchased the car in 2008. It was sitting since 1972. 

image11 (2).jpeg

image12 (2).jpeg

image10 (1).jpeg

63 avanti 007.jpg

Edited by Paul K.

Looks to me like a nicely done aftermarket seat cushion, done up by a professional automotive upholstery shop to lend the driver a bit more back support.....Not a bad idea if one is taking an extended trip in a Studebaker Avanti!:o :D

PS...If only the color was 'elk' I'd love to purchase it from you!

Edited by mfg

12 hours ago, Paul K. said:

First thought too was it was aftermarket, however, its done in the correct slightly metallic red vinyl like the seats. I still have a suspicion its a dealer item not something done by a trim shop. 

That the red metallic vinyl material is the same as the seats is indeed interesting!......Could the seats have been re-upholstered in this Avanti many years ago and the cushion made up at the same time?:huh:

I am thinking that this cushion was made when the Avanti was new or near new and original materials were available. I would have liked one for my 1963.  I used a large rolled up towel for my lower back in that one.  My 1964, late but not thick seats, had much more comfortable seats (at least for me).   

Having driven my Avanti cross country in both the summer or 64 and 65 , I would have relished this cushion. I was 17 years old on the first trip and the seats were very uncomfortable.

I believe what you have was done to a very high quality in a custom shop. If it were a factory option it would have turned up before now, and many Avanti owners would have bought one, me included. Thank you for posting your pictures.

Bob Caser

8 hours ago, mfg said:

That the red metallic vinyl material is the same as the seats is indeed interesting!......Could the seats have been re-upholstered in this Avanti many years ago and the cushion made up at the same time?:huh:

I'm certain the seats were not redone. It was parked and in 1972 and not driven.  I purchased the car from the original owner and had the service records but nothing for the seat pad. Good point,  if it was dealer option or similar, another one would have turned up. Thanks for the comments. 

It looks more like Avanti II seat upholstery...Studebakers didn't use that pattern even if it is similar.  Avanti Motors used similar for years but an owner could order a different number of pleats, whether they went completely to the top of the back or to the front of the seat base, etc.  

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that seat cover came from Avanti Motors...or at least the upholstery came from Avanti Motors and a local shop put it together.