R1 and R2 Avantis!

mfg

Take two Studebaker Avanti engines...one an R1 and the other an R2....both engines less heads, manifolds and oil pan.

Without looking at the engines serial numbers, what would be a quick and easy way to determine which is which?

12 minutes ago, mfg said:

Take two Studebaker Avanti engines...one an R1 and the other an R2....both engines less heads, manifolds and oil pan.

Without looking at the engines serial numbers, what would be a quick and easy way to determine which is which?

Look at the top of the pistons.

3 hours ago, studegary said:

Look at the top of the pistons.

Sorry no,:(...The pistons are identical.

How about some other ideas.....:huh:

3 hours ago, r1lark said:

Look at the fuel pumps.........the R2 will have a fitting for the boost reference, and the R1 will not. 

Good thinking Paul...and you are CORRECT!:)

(The fuel pump was actually one of two answers I came up with....Can anyone think of the other one?)

There will be a different pulley setup on the crankshaft? I'm not as familiar with the R2 engines installed in the Avantis than I am with the Lark/Hawk R2 engines tho, so I'm somewhat guessing without looking at the parts manual.

12 hours ago, r1lark said:

There will be a different pulley setup on the crankshaft? I'm not as familiar with the R2 engines installed in the Avantis than I am with the Lark/Hawk R2 engines tho, so I'm somewhat guessing without looking at the parts manual.

Again good thinking Paul!:D......... The crankshaft pulley is the 'key'!.....Crank  pulleys are actually the same between the two engines, however, there would be almost 60 years of 'wear' found on the outer two crank pulley grooves of an R2 (assuming blower was still in operation), whereas a stock R1's outer two crank pulley grooves would show no wear at all.... and may show signs of roughness or corrosion from all those years of lack of use!

One would need to inspect the crank pulley of an R1 engine that was factory equipped with A/C a bit closer, as ONE of the two outer crank pulley grooves would indeed indicate 60 years of wear from spinning the A/C compressor......Ed:)