Check out this '88 for sale

TMA62

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e5s1&lotId=17133493&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

It appears like and engine fire but the rest of the car is great. Its title is salvaged in Virginia but it could be rescued via mechanics lien or restoration title.

Thoughts?

I'd pay $2,001. ;-)

Seriously, it appears to be a minor engine fire centered around the distributor cap. Replacing all the hoses and wires maybe be the only thing needed to fix her.

I know in some states like Indiana, you can file to restore the car's title from salvaged to restored or refurbished. You need to itemize what you replaced and have it checked by a mechanic.

It looks like it would be fairly easy to bring the car back. That has LS swap written all over it.

My 1989 is a lot like the purple coupe. What is the issue with the title/sale? Not clear about that.

What would cause an engine 'fire' like this? Looks like a chemical extinguisher created the mess. Even if one put in a rebuilt 305 ($2200 in Houston) plus accessories the value might be there. What does the savage co. want for it? Running and in good shape it might be a$15K car.

Would an engine fire deform the hood? Can't see that.

Edited by dapy

I looked over the pix pretty closely and did not see any fire damage on the outside of the hood or cowl area. The rest of the car body and interior look in really good shape. Wiring????? I think it would be great to pull the old motor out and put a more powerful one (LS would be my first thought) and have an already nice looking 88 with a kick ass power plant. Were the 88's computer controlled? Even if you replaced the toast 305 with another, the whole computer electronics would probably have to be replaced, so why not go the more power and reliability route with a nice LS? What's it going to cost? Probably more than 15 K to get the car, motor and installation, Rewiring might have to be in the works also. If you're not worried about putting that kind of money in it, then full speed ahead.

Edited by plwindish